Interim new build before i7 :D

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hey, guys -

Wanted to ask some opinions on a couple of pieces I'll be changing to make room for my eventual i7 upgrade. The parts that will be present for sure:

NZXT Rogue SFF case (5 fans!)
DFI LP JR P45-T2RS mobo

Power supply (a high-wattage Thermaltake I've forgotten), opticals, hard drives, and a pair of old 8800-series graphics cards will all be salvageable to go in there, as well as RAM.

My heatsink, on the other hand, is clearly far too large to fit in the case, so I'm left considering a new cooling solution; along with that, I've been considering a processor bump as well, though I'm unsure there. My questions, then:

I'm impressed by the simplicity of the Domino A.L.C., but unless the pump/screen can be removed from the rad, that won't work for me on two counts - A) the case window's at the top of the case, so what's the point, and B) it'll be right next to the PSU, and I'm fairly sure there's no room to be had there. I'll have the case in my possession on Wednesday to verify, but I'm fairly certain. It's also not particularly better than good air cooling right now, from what I've read. Assuming that's out, I've gotten somewhat enamored with watercooling, especially in SFF, and could really like to go that route. Does anybody have any good tips or suggestions on what best will suit that request? Has anybody come across any WC solutions that will do better than good air and let me OC to the extent to which I've become accustomed? Should I just roll my own and strap some rads all over my case?

To that end, my second question is that I would be putting a G0 Q6600 in there currently OCed to 3.6GHz. I know P45 can push some nice FSBs, but I'm wondering if it would be better matched to a Q9400 or another 45nm quad? With SFF, I'm thinking the heat output reduction from 65 to 45 would be worthwhile and better enable me to get OCed decently, but I'd like to hear what others think.

In other words, I want to build a quiet sleeping monster into this case, and I'd appreciate some input into having that happen. Whaddaya got, IC?

Thanks, everybody!

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Current thoughts:

Swiftech MCP-350
    Swiftech Apogee GTZ?
    X-Flow Black Ice Pro One or two of these, depending on what the case looks like

And a small res of some kind... but suddenly we've gone from the $80 ALC to a $200 endeavor.

Blah. Input?
  • edited January 2009
    i dont think you'd be able to get as good an OC with a 45nm as youre getting with that 6600. but thats just me. id stick with the 6600, especially since youve got an awesome stepping.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The 45nm will clock much better than anything from the Kentsfield.
    edited January 2009
    With the other revisions I'm kind of thinking of now, I can't afford the added cost of a processor as well. I'll continue to hope for my current clock in the new case.

Now thinking bay-based fan control since I'll be using the GELID Wings, and probably a bay reservoir; in that event, I'd really like to try and do a slot-loading DVD burner somewhere with a case mod. All will depend what I see on Wednesday, I suppose.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    pics of the interior of that lanbox or gtfo

newegg doesnt have any good ones.
    edited January 2009
    Of course.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Run an H20-120 Compact and mount the radiator off the back of the case. I don't think the reservoir top on the radiator will fit inside the case, but it'd fit outside without issue. Or, you could do something like this and put a 2x120 rad on the side of the case.
    edited January 2009
    So no kidding - I read that entire thread on sudhian today. All 35 pages of it. It's amazing, and it gave me ideas. Bad ideas. Naughty ideas.

I need the HDD space, so I'm still thinking, but I need the case to measure before I decide anything. 2x2x120 would be badass, but I think two singles might be just fine. I also don't have a pelt in mind, so not sure if I could use the Stealths.

All depends on space. Wednesday cannot come fast enough.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    So no kidding - I read that entire thread on sudhian today. All 35 pages of it. It's amazing, and it gave me ideas. Bad ideas. Naughty ideas.

I need the HDD space, so I'm still thinking, but I need the case to measure before I decide anything. 2x2x120 would be badass, but I think two singles might be just fine. I also don't have a pelt in mind, so not sure if I could use the Stealths.

All depends on space. Wednesday cannot come fast enough.

I really like that case your getting. And that mod that thread is bad @ss. I can't believe the amount of work that guy put in. I actually learned a lot and saw some tools I'll be adding to my collection soon.
    edited February 2009
    So quick update and more thoughts:

The Rogue is decently-sized, but I am wondering if the rad will be hanging over the water block. I think it should work out, but we'll see where that goes. Since I currently have no plans for the optical bays (and in fact have plans to try and stick my 7" LCD in there), those can get de-riveted and free up a ton of extra space in the front. That should make cabling, res placement, pump placement, etc much easier.

The rad, however, is going to be tough to mount, which I didn't realize from the other thread. There's no going through the rad, you have to go in from either side... which means, since I don't want to bolt THROUGH my side panels, that I'll be fabricating a mounting panel for it much like that fella. Then I should have:

Panel -> fans -> mount panel -> rad -> interior of case. Cool air sucked in from outside, pushed past the rad, and three exhaust fans to pull it out.

So now the questions. Ordering will start this week, which means I need to finalize my parts list. With the tax refund coming, I'm thinking I have a little more flexibility in my budget... so I might be springing for a Yorkfield after all. Any thoughts on what's "the Q6600" of the Yorkies - aka cheapish, but a great overclocker?

Secondly, I'm still wrestling with whether or not to stick with a single 8800GT I have, upgrade to a better single card, or upgrade to Crossfire or SLi. Given the size of the case, I'm not sure I can support multi-card solutions, especially given the prevalence of dual-slot coolers. The cooling itself may also be in question... only three fans to pull out. My question, then, is what's the best single-slot solution for graphics that will be easily paired together (and, of course, p/p matters)? Or for that matter, am I just better off sticking with the 8800 since I do very little with it anyway?

I'm getting all excited again. It's gonna happen...