high slk-900u 2.8c temps

TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
edited July 2003 in Hardware
i just put together a new rig with a p4 2.8c and an slk-900, according to my IS7 it runs idle at 45 celcius along with my 92mm sunon. i reseated the heatsink and applied more arctic silver... why is this temp so high?

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    i think the problem is that you APPLIED MORE AARCTIC SILVER, you not suppose to use much, you only need a thin thin layer, all spread out even, very thin that you can almost see through it.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Did you remove the sticker on the bottom of the heatsink? Just a thought.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited June 2003
    no sticker, when i say applied more arctic silver i mean i wiped it clean and reapplied. there is a small cut on the backside of the mobo near the cpu socket, it cuts across some etching... what about filling THIS with arctic silver?

also, oddly enough, the temp is exactly the same with a 92mm tornado ontop. its almost as if my CPU idle temp is reading far too high, im fairly sure the heatsink is heated correctly, and it is NOT warm to the touch.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Don't put arctic silver on yer mobo unless you want to fry it or short it out. Did you screw up your mobo and this is a roundabout way of bringin it up?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    did you check ur temp in bios?
    edited June 2003
    no no no, i noticed this when i was looking at the back of the mobo, after i took the heatsink retention bracket off... its not very deep.

wug, that temp is from the bios
    edited June 2003
    whats the ambient room temp?
    do you have any intake or exhaust?
    are you sure u didnt put in too much artic silver?

if all these answers point to yes..it seems like a diode problem I saw this because the temp never changed... I mean a tornado has crazy cfms...and u should be getting +8 C ambient appx with the tornado
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    You can stick a 92mm fan on that thing?!!!!! Crazy! I am now really regreting that damn volcan 7+.
    edited June 2003
    when did u buy that volcano 7+
    edited June 2003
    Bad_Karma said
    You can stick a 92mm fan on that thing?!!!!! Crazy! I am now really regreting that damn volcan 7+.

yep, the slk-900 is for 92mm fans. I don't know if this cut you are talking about has anything to do with your temps, do you have a digi cam you might could take a pic of it?
  • astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited June 2003
    ok this is kind of off-topic, and i apologize but the topic made me think of the question (i want the benefit of quiet 92mm cooling goodness) but being that the slk-900 is such a large heatsink, what would you guys say about it fitting in a mid-tower on an abit kx7-333r? thanks mucho :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If you bought a product with Volcano in the name, bow your head in shame and know the true meaning of regret.
    edited June 2003
    astroworp said
    ok this is kind of off-topic, and i apologize but the topic made me think of the question (i want the benefit of quiet 92mm cooling goodness) but being that the slk-900 is such a large heatsink, what would you guys say about it fitting in a mid-tower on an abit kx7-333r? thanks mucho :)

Shouldn't be a problem if your wiring isn't a mess and the cables don't get hung up in the fan blades. Do you have a lot of room in your case now?
    edited June 2003
    i'll post a pic in a few days, we'll see what you guys think. as long as it isn't a substantial heat problem (i.e. in danger of frying chip), then i'll leave it be, and just buy a new mobo before i OC. i have to unmount the slk900 to get a pic of it though ... its right below the cpu socket, i suppose it could be across the etchings for the temp sensor...

and btw

ambient temp: 30 celcius (according to is7, kg7 box in same room reads 23...)

i have 2 intake, 2 exhaust

i'm sure i didn't apply too much arctic silver, and even if i did i reapplied with a very thin coat the second time just to check

the box seems to run completely stable
    edited June 2003
    as an update - i dont have any pictures yet, but i found out that using MBM5 when it look at "winbond2" my cpu temp jumps right past the warning temp of 55 and to the shutdown temp of 60, SOOOO... i'm thinking the sensor may be bad.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I would say no it wouldnt fit on a Kx7R. I have a Kx7 (no R) and my Ak7 is touching a cap and its about a centimeter away from the Parallel port and thats the direction the Slk-900 is long.
  • astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited June 2003
    i have quite a mess of cables in my case at the moment, but i wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to tie them together and out of the way of a HSF... i just wanna use this awesome heatsink so i can have a quiet fan... i hate the noise of my current hsf...
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Thrax said
    If you bought a product with Volcano in the name, bow your head in shame and know the true meaning of regret.

I got the V9 coolmod, but then I bought this.
    h208500vid_big.jpg

Does that redeem me?
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited June 2003
    Just an FYI, the temp in the BIOS is not an idle temp. That is the temp under some load. The reason for this is even the CPU is not doing anything is still runs under a load because windows or some other OS isn't there is tell it that is isn't doing anything and can run an idle loop. The temp in the BIOS should be near, but lower than a full load temp doing something strenuous.
    edited July 2003
    "The System Idle Process runs only when no other processes are using the
    CPU. Thus, when the CPU is idle, the System Idle Process is in action,
    executing special halt (HLT) instructions that put the CPU into a suspended
    mode and thereby cool the processor."

In the BIOS, the system (CPU) is running at full tilt, whereas in the OS it has the system idle process to send the CPU the HLT instructions. Therefore, the temperature is lower in the OS environment at idle than in the bios at full speed