Storming the Fortress article

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Team Fortress 2
The Escapist did an article on TF2 that details some of the upcoming changes for this year. There's a lot in this piece to sift through so I figured it'd be worth sharing:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_185/5668-Storming-the-Fortress

Thoughts?

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Additionally, Walker feels the Engineer's sentry guns have become "too binary." They're highly lethal to some players and wholly ineffective against others. Sentry guns are also easily dispatched by skilled players, leaving Engineers with little recourse.

<-- is very excited about the prospect of interesting sentry gun updates. :D
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Escapist has something else to offer other than Yahtzee?

Valve's certainly found something that works, they just have to keep the ball rolling. I know firsthand that diving into the community and asking for help will give you some great ideas, but also bog you down the constant bickering and abuse to changes that weren't as welcome.

The problem of being spread too thin between projects also is a bit concerning. It'll be interesting to see of the quality of the work stays the same. I doubt it would change, but the "listening" period might, given increased workload on their end for these side projects.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    What stood out to me the most from the article was the suggestion that Spy disguises had run their course so they're looking at ways to fix the issue, and that they're looking at making sometimes unpopular changes to test the community reaction. That's ballsy stuff.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Spy disguises have run there course? Yeah right... I still get ganked several times a game assuming the spy is good and the game is intense. When the game is slow paced and crappy spies, then yes spies are not as powerful.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm... I wonder how they're going to change the sentry and disguises. Guess we'll just have to wait for those class packs.
    edited January 2009
    A spy that Looks like a Sentry? ;D
    edited January 2009
    ...I seemed to have missed the third page, that is interesting to hear.

SENTRY'S SAPPIN MY SPY!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Spy disguises have run there course? Yeah right... I still get ganked several times a game assuming the spy is good and the game is intense. When the game is slow paced and crappy spies, then yes spies are not as powerful.

I think that's what they mean, when they say it's run it's course. Everyone has either mastered the spy or given up on it, so it's time for him to do something else.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It'll be great to see CB's branching idea come to life with the sentry updates. Wouldn't be surprised if they added the ability to expand it's range with another 200 metal or pop up a shield with another 200. Could be cool stuff coming. The engi in me is excited.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Go ahead, underestimate us :ninja:

/me stabs
    edited January 2009
    Go ahead, underestimate us :ninja:

* primesuspect stabs

A medic is a spy's worst enemy.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    They obviously haven't played against me...
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The sentry gun upgrade branching idea is probably the most interesting I've heard but I can see that causing serious problems when trying to counter multiple sentries with an uber charge.
    edited January 2009
    A shield sentry next to a long range sentry... Think of a sentry that is not as fast but more lethal and longer range. Uber rush will need to be better planned...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    imagine, if you will, a world in which a sniper sentry exists

Go ahead, I'll wait.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Imagine, if you will, a world in which a half-range, double-damage sentry exists.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I want a flamethrower sentry.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Imagine, if you will, a Spy that doesn't bleed and stabs with a poison-tipped dagger.

Go ahead, I'll wait.
    edited January 2009
    Imagine, if you will, a world with out TF2.

I think I can hear Prime crying.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Imagine, if you will, Tf2 tower defense. Red has different types of sentries. Blu must get through the maze.

Go ahead, I'll wait.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Imagine, if you will, boobs.

Go ahead, I'll wait.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Imagine if you will [this space reserved for when I think of something clever].

Go ahead, I'll wait.
    edited January 2009
    Imagi C-C-C-Combo Breaker
    edited January 2009
    Imagine, if you will, Tf2 tower defense. Red has different types of sentries. Blu must get through the maze.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

You and I had a lengthy discussion about this once. Why?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    You and I had a lengthy discussion about this once. Why?

Why not?

Besides, TD plus TF2. Come on.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Imagi C-C-C-Combo Breaker
    Win! I'm adding TF2 server to my list now! Hopefully I'll see some of you on tonight. I'm going to change my name when I get a chance