Another 0x0000008E error

edited January 2009 in Hardware
The problem started out with random shutdowns and gradually got much worse.
I now receive this error when trying to reload Win XP Home on my neighbor's PC. 0x0000008E, 0x8o576F1C, 0xF79C8C0C, 0x00000000.
Iinitally tried to do a repair but that failed and I could no longer boot at all so I tried a new load but that also fails. This error occurs when it appears Win XP is almost ready to run (it goes through all the startup). I haven't had much luck in finding anuy answers. Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be? :confused:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Have you tested the computer's memory and hard drive to ensure that they're physically functional components?
  • edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Have you tested the computer's memory and hard drive to ensure that they're physically functional components?

The memory works ok in another PC. I took the harddrive out and kooked it up to another computer through the USB and that worked ok. I copied some files to the other PC in case I needed to format the harddrive and start over.

The computer is a Net Edge, a brand that I am not familiar with.
    edited January 2009
    Put both components back in the PC and follow these guides:
    http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86
    http://icrontic.com/articles/hard_drive_diagnostics

I want to make doubly sure that the parts are good before we continue.
  • edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Put both components back in the PC and follow these guides:
    http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86
    http://icrontic.com/articles/hard_drive_diagnostics

I want to make doubly sure that the parts are good before we continue.

Thank your for your help.

Well I ran 2 passes on the memory and no failures. I also ran DFT and had no failures. I am not sure where to go next unless I just format and start over again. I did that before and the error still occurs.
    edited January 2009
    Is it possible to update the BIOS on this machine?

Have you completely reset the CMOS before making a reformat attempt?

Are you positive that this CD you're using is good?

Can you temporarily swap in another video card?
  • edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Is it possible to update the BIOS on this machine?

Have you completely reset the CMOS before making a reformat attempt?

Are you positive that this CD you're using is good?

Can you temporarily swap in another video card?

I have tried a different Windows XP disk with the same results (several attempts).

I have replaced the video card.

I even tried another hard drive just in case. All produce the same results.

When you say "reset CMOS" do you mean to enter CMOS and set to the default settings?

I am not sure on doing the BIOS upgrade. I will have to investigate that and see if I can find an update.

Do you have any more ideas? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you
    edited January 2009
    Yes, enter into the BIOS and reset it to its default settings. Even better, if you can, is to consult your motherboard manual on how to reset the BIOS via a jumper on your motherboard. The manual will describe a "CMOS reset" or "CMOS clear" method, and will show you what you're looking for (it's a very small plastic tab that rests on two of three pins in a line), and where to move it to temporarily.

Take a look into the BIOS update for certain.

Do you know the operating temperature of your processor? Is your home especially warm? Are you positive your computer's heatsink is mounted correctly? Can you check the CPU temperature in the BIOS?

At this point I am beginning to suspect that your motherboard or processor may be damaged. This post of yours proves that the 0x08E error is entirely worthless. It can be caused by spyware, bad software, a bad file system, a bad motherboard, a bad CPU, bad memory, a bad hard drive, a corrupted OS, a bad BIOS... Look how many things can cause it! It's like having the sniffles, except it can kill you.