humming from LCD TV

jmoney3457jmoney3457 Maine
edited January 2009 in Gaming
So i got this new Element LCD tv & it works great and everything but i dunno if i just noticed this coz ive been using it couple weeks now and didnt notice it really til now but even when vol down low it emits this low hum type sound coming from spkrs but when i MUTE it goes away..ive tried playing w/ sound & backlight settings but it doesnt phase humming only mute silences it..anyone else have this w/ there LCD (or non) tv? is it normal?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like an issue with your ground. Got anything else plugged in nearby? Game console? Power hungry device?
  • jmoney3457jmoney3457 Maine
    edited January 2009
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Sounds like an issue with your ground. Got anything else plugged in nearby? Game console? Power hungry device?

nope thats only thing plugged into the outlet..should i plug it into surge protector? do you think that's solve it
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Wait, is it plugged into the wall?
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Wait, is it plugged into the wall?

ya y?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Yikes. You need a power cleaner on there. There tend to be multiple outlets per circuit, so that vacuum cleaner, space heater, etc. could be affecting the power being given to your TV.
    edited January 2009
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Yikes. You need a power cleaner on there. There tend to be multiple outlets per circuit, so that vacuum cleaner, space heater, etc. could be affecting the power being given to your TV.

should LCD be plugged into surge protector?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Only if the surge protector has filtering on it.

How much hum are we talking here?
    edited January 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Only if the surge protector has filtering on it.

How much hum are we talking here?

how do you know/tell if surge has filtering on it? like noticeable hum less vol is up alot then it drains it out
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    The packaging will say. You want something with EMI/RFI filtering at the minimum.
    edited January 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    The packaging will say. You want something with EMI/RFI filtering at the minimum.

those more expensive? & dont they sell surge protectors specially made for LCDs?
    edited January 2009
    Ignore the ones made specifically for LCDs. It's a waste of money. Just get a good surge protector. It'll be about $50, and will say "EMI/RFI filtering" or "line conditioning."
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Ignore the ones made specifically for LCDs. It's a waste of money. Just get a good surge protector. It'll be about $50, and will say "EMI/RFI filtering" or "line conditioning."

oh ok thx guys..thrax do you think thats causing the low hum?
    edited January 2009
    It's the only possibility aside from a broken TV.
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    It's the only possibility aside from a broken TV.

doubt broken..aside from hum everything including spkrs seem fine..you guys heard of element(brand i got)? from what ive read its not top of line but its not no name either..