How long will a overclocked 4850 last?

revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
edited January 2009 in Hardware
Hi, I got my 4850, I was very impressed with the performance. Crysis at 1680x1050 is no problem. I wanted that bit extra performance boost so I overclocked it.
Stock it ran at
Core:625
Mem:933

I overclocked it to
Core:700
Mem:1200

The card runs perfectly, no artifacts or anything. its 100% stable.
The max temp it gets to is about 65-70. 70 is the absolutle max it will get to.
I have the Sapphire ard with the revised cooler. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148468
That one.

Now I understand that running a card overclocked reduces its lifespan, roughly how long do you think my 4850 will last. I do want it to last a fairly long time. If its only going to last a year then I will put it back to stock speeds. Should I reduce the clocks or am I going to get atleast 3 years from this card.

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Overclocking alone will not reduce the lifespan of your components. Higher temperatures can reduce the potential life of the component but it looks like you've got that under control.

The card should run long after it's performance is unacceptable.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited January 2009
    Ohh good good. Ill keep it overclocked then. Thanks :)
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Watch your temps and fan speeds.

With the CCC utility I got in my ATI / Visiontek 4870, it showed the card idling at 76 C with 18% fan speed.

I manually raised the fan speed to 33% and it idles around 52 C now.

Above 33% the fan got louder and temps didn't drop much more.

Mine is at stock speeds.

As for overclocking itself cauing wear, my previous computer had a Barton core 2500+ cpu (stock 1.83 Ghz) running at 2.2 Ghz overclocked 11X200 for over 5 years with no problems ever, just keep the temps under control.