Sound quits in Windows 7

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Hardware
Hi Guys here is a copy and paste from a post I made at the Windows 7 Forum

Thought I would put it here as well to see if anybody else was having this trouble or had a fix.
Or better yet a recomendation for a new sound card that works under Windows 7. It is for my Gamer so EAX is needed and 5.1 speakers are being used. Obviously with all the horror stories about Creative's Vista support I am not going to give them my money and wait for "7" drivers.

Thanks

Scott

Howdy folks !
First post here.
After reading all the threads with anything to do with "Sound" I beleive this is a different issue. It may still be "Creative" related though , but I thought a new thread was in order.

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to 7 build 7000 with out any problems. A few shortcuts were borked but all in all everything worked and went smooth. All devices in device manager report OK. All windows sounds work. So I did not think anything was wrong until I started gaming the other day. About 5-10 minutes into a game ( any game ) all sound quits. Alt-tab to desktop and no windows sounds. Exit game and everything works again.

Media Player will play just fine for a song or 2 and then gets all crackly. But it continues to play.

The sound card is an older Audigy model SB0090 I had been using the SBAX_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0001 driver. This worked fine in Vista.
I installed (without any problems ) The Beta Driver SBAX_PCDRVBETA_US_2_18_0001 this made no difference.

It seems that after 5-10 minutes of any continuous sounds it will mess up. But the occasional sounds like the default windows sounds are no trouble.

If you all think that this is "Creative" related then it is a good excuse to get a new sound card. But If you think it may be something else I am all ears.
Let me know what you think.

Machine in question
GA-P35-DQ6 ( Note: onboard sound does not work...so that is not an option )
Q6600
2x1gb OCZ Reaper
EVGA GTX 260 core 216
Audigy SB 1394 EAX Advanced HD Model SB0900

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Are you using the newest vista 64 drivers?
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Are you using the newest vista 64 drivers?

I am running the most recent driver available from Creative for Vista. I am running 32 bit windows 7

Scott
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    If I recall, the Vista 64 drivers are newer. Any particular reason you opted to use 32 Win7?
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Any particular reason you opted to use 32 Win7?

I did an upgrade from Vista 32 , 64 was not an option.

OK this is weird. I read on some forum somewhere that a "fix" is to select SPDIF as the default audio device. Even though I have nothing hooked up to SPDIF it seems to be working so far. Media player is on song 4 with no issues so far.

I also downloaded the Daniel_K drivers but have not installed them. I will let this go for awhile and report back.

Thanks

Scott
    edited January 2009
    I started a game last night and got about 30 minutes in and the sound just stopped. Bummer !

After exiting everything worked again. I installed the Daniel_K drivers and rebooted, I started media Player and it sounded kind of fuzzy , I switched to SPDIF and it sounded good.

Restarted the game and played for almost 2 hours without any sound issues.

I hope its fixed.

Scott