Verifying Raid

edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hello
Im have a hard time finding answeres for the question im about to purpose.

I have a system set up with RAID 1, however i want to check to ensure that the data is actually be copied to both drives. I cannot under any circumstance break the raid or reboot the system.

Is there anyway to check the data on each drive? prefreable more detailed then meta data.

thankyou

Sincreley

~emgey007

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Try a program called JSummer to create an MD5 sum of your master drive, then compare the mirror against the MD5.
  • edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Try a program called JSummer to create an MD5 sum of your master drive, then compare the mirror against the MD5.

The application only allows logical volumes, to compar it properly I would need to compare the hash of each indvidual disk which is only accessable through the raid controller as the operating system only sees one disk. Is there a way to do that?
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    You could use a Linux Live CD without raid drivers for your board, as long as it has Sata drivers for that controller. Mount the drives as read only and compare them manually. Generally hardware controllers are much nicer due to the fact that they can verify the data for you. My 3ware 9550-SXU does it weekly.