Unexplainable boot problems!

edited January 2009 in Hardware
Better take a seat, as this could take a while...

First off I should say that I don't know 100% certain it's the motherboard, but by a process of elimination I think it's either the motherboard and/or the processor.

Here are the basics of my system (I've had more devices installed, but to get the pc running again I've paired it down to the basics):
-Asus M2N32-SLI deluxe
-AMD 64 X2 6000+
-2x OCZ 2Gb kit Platinum series, DDR2, PC6400, 800 MHz, Dual Channel
-Gainward Bliss 8800GTS, Geforce 8800 GTS, 320 Mb
-Hiper Type R, 580W PSU

Now, I've been running that system for about a year, mainly fine apart from the usual windows hickups. Now about two weeks ago the system started shutting itself down. No warnings, no blue screens, nothing, it was just as if somebody pulled the plug. Before I was able to figure out what the problem was the system started to refuse to boot!

When powered up, all devices come on: all the fans spin, the harddrives spin, the graphics card runs, but the system won't boot: no beeps, no post, nothing. So my initial thought was that the MB was fried. I tried connections in several compositions (disconnect to the bare minimum, use different power plugs, etc.) and nothing worked. I even tried no RAM (no error beeps!!) and no video (Error beeps!!) and just as I was about to take the whole thing apart it came on again! Just like that it booted into windows, but it did crash again and then it didn't come on again! So I figured for it to be able to do that the MB or processor can't be damaged. So I started looking elsewhere.

Then I thought that it must be the PSU. I always thought it may be a bit under strength. So I ordered a new one (880 W this time). It arrived, I hooked it up and lo and behold, we have a boot! So, obviously I was very pleased with myself and thought that to be the end of it. I put everything back together and when I booted it....nothing...again!

I'm at a loss by now. The only two things I can think of are the MB and/or the processor. My next step is to reseat the processor, but I thought I'd check on here first about what you guys here think.

Any tips, advice or solutions are welcome!!

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    A couple things:

Are you aware how buggy/problematic the M2N32-SLI board is? It's arguably one of the most problem-prone boards in recent memory, and only a veritable army of BIOS updates have managed to stabilize it. So definitely make sure you're on the newest version which, I believe, is now v2001. Another thing to make sure of is that your memory is only in the black slots on the motherboard. Do not use the yellow DIMM slots! They're trash.

Nextly, have you tried to run the system outside of the case on a piece of cardboard or wood? Seriously! Disassemble the system, put the motherboard on a piece of cardboard, plug in the video card, one stick of memory, and hook it up to the power supply for a boot. Does the system work properly? If so, you had a ground fault on your case. This means that some bare metal element of your place was inadvertently completing an electric circuit by touching the metal of your case's chassis. It's fairly common.

Welcome to Icrontic. :)
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks for your reply! The second part of your reply is quite helpful and I will definatly try that.

However telleing me how crap the board is is not particularly helpful as I can't change that right now. BIOS update? Of course..if I was able to log into something remotely like a BIOS. And I'm afraid I will have to use all the slots if I want to be able to use the 4Gb I have, but thanks for pointing it out.

Frankly if I can't get it to work, parts will go on ebay and I will stick to my MacBook pro. Neven failed me yet!

Thrax wrote:
    A couple things:

Are you aware how buggy/problematic the M2N32-SLI board is? It's arguably one of the most problem-prone boards in recent memory, and only a veritable army of BIOS updates have managed to stabilize it. So definitely make sure you're on the newest version which, I believe, is now v2001. Another thing to make sure of is that your memory is only in the black slots on the motherboard. Do not use the yellow DIMM slots! They're trash.

Nextly, have you tried to run the system outside of the case on a piece of cardboard or wood? Seriously! Disassemble the system, put the motherboard on a piece of cardboard, plug in the video card, one stick of memory, and hook it up to the power supply for a boot. Does the system work properly? If so, you had a ground fault on your case. This means that some bare metal element of your place was inadvertently completing an electric circuit by touching the metal of your case's chassis. It's fairly common.

Welcome to Icrontic. :)
    edited January 2009
    You'll find that we have a very long support thread regarding your motherboard. The only two fixes people have found to stabilize the board are black DIMMs only, and the newest BIOS update. If we can get your system to POST even once (with the right DIMM population, or outside of the system) we can get your BIOS updated without issue.

Of course if you feel like abandoning the whole thing, that's entirely your prerogative as well. Let me know how you want to proceed, and we'll take it from there.
  • edited January 2009
    Cheers. As I said, I will definately try your suggestion, although I have to get some new thermal grease first before I can put it back together again.

I'm just a bit dubious because I've been running this system for just over a year without any real problems.

And there is no point to me maintaining the system if I can only run 2Gb instead of the 4 Gb of RAM I have.

I will update you as soon as I have tried what you suggested.

Thrax wrote:
    You'll find that we have a very long support thread regarding your motherboard. The only two fixes people have found to stabilize the board are black DIMMs only, and the newest BIOS update. If we can get your system to POST even once (with the right DIMM population, or outside of the system) we can get your BIOS updated without issue.

Of course if you feel like abandoning the whole thing, that's entirely your prerogative as well. Let me know how you want to proceed, and we'll take it from there.
  • edited January 2009
    So, here is an update:

- reseated the heatsink, with new thermal grease

- took the board out, put it on a wooden board and tried to boot it.

First nothing. Then in booted, but gave me a disk error. Forgot to hook up the power to the hard drive! Hooked it up: no luck again.
    Then I decided to call it a day and put it back in the case for tidyness. Only hooked up the basics and for shits and giggles started it again. And what do you think? It booted and asked to load the BIOS defaults. Done, restart and it booted again, but now it froze while loading up windows (windows bootscreen). Hasn't booted since...

I really am running out of options. Anyone?

Thrax wrote:

edited January 2009
    Can you disconnect all optical and hard disks and attempt to boot?
  • edited January 2009
    ok, tried that: I didn't have any drives bar C hooked up. I disconnected this one as well and booted.

Started up immediately. Tried another time and again it booted. Tried a few more times: no boot.

Thrax wrote:
    Can you disconnect all optical and hard disks and attempt to boot?
    edited January 2009
    At this point I think it would be safe to say that it is indeed the motherboard or the processor. Given your board's tendency towards flakiness, would you agree that the motherboard is probably the culprit?
  • edited January 2009
    Probably. But why has it worked for this long, only to conk out now. And it works on occasion....it's just weird.

I'll have to find out if it is still under warranty, but I doubt it.

Any advice? Or recommendations for good MB's? I'm not a gamer, but mainly digital photography and video...

Thrax wrote:
    At this point I think it would be safe to say that it is indeed the motherboard or the processor. Given your board's tendency towards flakiness, would you agree that the motherboard is probably the culprit?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Motherboards can crap out seemingly spontaneously. Capacitors can fry, etc. It happens. Not to worry though. You're in a good spot right now with your existing setup. All your parts will work on the new AMD boards. Something like the Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H will get you back up and running smooth in no time. It's well built and should be a very stable platform for you. It can overclock too, if you want to try that some time.

The nice thing about getting a new board like that is that they support all of AMD's current and upcoming Phenom II processors. You'll have the option of upgrading to a quad core Phenom II later down the road if you'd like. It's pretty future-proof as far as that goes. Not too bad for $135.
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks for the tip! Anybody have any other MB's they'd like to recommend?

How about the slightly cheaper:
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

Seems pretty similar. All I need it to do is handle digital imaging (Photoshop and the like) and video. I don't play games on my pc and am unlikely to overclock..

Buddy J wrote:
    Motherboards can crap out seemingly spontaneously. Capacitors can fry, etc. It happens. Not to worry though. You're in a good spot right now with your existing setup. All your parts will work on the new AMD boards. Something like the Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H will get you back up and running smooth in no time. It's well built and should be a very stable platform for you. It can overclock too, if you want to try that some time.

The nice thing about getting a new board like that is that they support all of AMD's current and upcoming Phenom II processors. You'll have the option of upgrading to a quad core Phenom II later down the road if you'd like. It's pretty future-proof as far as that goes. Not too bad for $135.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Sure, that'll work for you too. It's a hair older, but for your uses I don't think that'll mean much.