Addons

pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Gaming
Figured it wouldn't hurt to have a thread for the addons everyone likes to use. For me, I stick with the basic UI, so these are mostly to make my gameplay easier in some way.

#1. Questhelper - Inspects your quest log and then gives optimal routes on your map with waypoints to each location that you should be going to for quest objectives. Makes questing a no-brainer.

#2. Cartographer - Opens up the world map (uncovering fog) and adds instance maps.

#3. Omen - When you get to running instances, 5-man or larger, you'll probably want to know who has the highest threat on that boss mobs (especially you squishy DPS).

#4. Recount - For those of you with numbers on the mind, Recount gives a nifty readout of your dps (or tps / hps) for yourself and the group your in. Also, has some fun graphing utilities.

#5. Bagnon - Ok, so I lied, I do use one UI mod, this guy. Bagnon saves up a ton of valuable screen real estate by combining all of your available bag slots to one box, it also has the ability to remember the contents of your bank so you can see it on the go.

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I, unlike Prag, am a gigantic addon whore. I despise the default interface and dislike the way in which keybindings are applied. It takes far too long to toggle hotkeys for abilities, because of that, I modify the action bars AND the default unit frames (the UI). The following list of addons is not comprehensive and simply reflects my experience with modifying (fairly heavily) the default user interface.

#1 Bartender - I absolutely LOVE Bartender. Its fairly intuitive to set up, but can seem daunting to a person who's modifying their UI for the first time. It allows the creation of up to 10 action bars and allows fairly quick (about 10 seconds) hotkeying of the specific buttons on the bar. Thats right, in 10 seconds you can bind Sinister Strike/Flash Heal/Execute to Ctrl+1. I'm not joking and I can't survive without binding a disable ability to E and my mount to Shift + Q.

#2 Pitbull - This is out of date from what I remember, but allowed you to modify the default unit frames. As of right now I don't use anything, but have used this in the past. I like the idea of not seeing those ugly, misplaced character panes all over the place. If you're going to be in a Raid (group larger than 5) then you absolutely NEED something to get rid of the default raid interface.

#3 X-Perl Unit Frames - Like Pitbull above, I also think this may be out of date, I'll be looking more into this in the future. Allows about 1093798235792357 more options and is infinitely more complex to set up.

#4 Grid - Do you hate the ridiculously ugly raid UI? Are you a healer and want small frames that give detailed information about health, etc? Do you want something minimalist that provides more info than you'll ever need? Grid is this. Even with 25 people in a raid, you see 25 boxes that give a read out of health, aggro generation, or some other randomness that you want. Not having that gigantic raid pull out is awesome.

I'll be adding more to this list eventually, as I go back into my ridiculous UI modifying ways. Also, I'll post screen shots so people can see whats possible.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Xperl and Pitbull are still up to date. http://www.curse.com

A shot of my UI from Burning Crusades: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Thrax/raid.jpg
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Doubled in healing, oh snap!
  • edited January 2009
    Just so you know, questhelper is pretty much broken right now, it's a huge ram whore. I use lightheaded/cartographer for my questing (carbonite quest also rocks if you have a decent amount of ram, I use it when not in a raid). Also, wowmatrix is a great way to keep your addons up to date and I have used it since it first came out. wowmatrix.com
    edited January 2009
    Don't use wow matrix. Use the curse client. It connects directly to the WoWAce and Curse.com SVN repositories; wowmatrix doesn't, and often supplies out of date addons.

Questhelper isn't "broken," either. It's just one of the most comprehensive quest mods, so naturally it takes more RAM than the rest. The impact isn't substantial. Inflated for execution in memory, it takes about 30MB.
  • edited January 2009
    Questhelper was crashing people in Dal for a while, don't know if it got fixed or not. Although I try to avoid that city like the plague, I don't want to crash when I fly in there either. I've never had problems with matrix either with getting out of date addons, but don't know anyone that updates daily with curse to check to see who has the newest revision numbers.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    XPerl, Titan Panel (and other addons for said mod), Advanced Trade Skill Window, Atlas/Atlasloot, Bagnon.

Those are the ones I have now that I somehow remembered having when I used to play. I had totally forgotten about Omen, gonna have to grab that one again. I need to take some more time and just go through curse.com. I'm sure there are a good amount more that I've forgotten.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I use the following on a regular basis:

Omen (MUST HAVE FOR DPS)
    Titan Panel
    Runewatch (for my DK)
    Auctioneer
    Questhelper
    Timers for all my bars

Once we start doing something other than 5-mans, I will get a Raid mod of some type (its been forever since I installed one, so recommendations would be great.

Also, does anybody have a working version of mobinfo (1,2,or3) for the most recent patches? Most recent update I can find for it is from two months ago or so.
    edited January 2009
    Mobinfo is no longer required. Mob health and mana values are transmitted by the client as of 3.0.2.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Oh ya, forgot to mention Auctioneer. That is one I definitely can't live without.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Mobinfo would also track drop rates of items (as in for crafting or AH), give you total kills and tell you info about their attack (like, do they run when low on health).
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I use Gatherer, Titan Panel (only for coords and durability), and Grid.

My Grid mod is for healing. I leveled my Human Paladin from 59-71 by doing only healing in 5 mans, very few quests. Grid is small, easy to set for 5, 10, 25, or 40 mans, and easy to read fast to know who needs healed first. It doesn't take up any more space on the screen than neccessary.

I set up my HP DV6000 series laptop with the 7 beta and installed WotLK on it to see how it would work. I forgot I didn't have any mods on it until I started healing a Nexus run, and it was pretty hard to watch the actual health numbers on the other players' data readouts, I had gotten quite used to Grid.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I use all of these :)

Atlasloot
    Carbonite
    Deadly Boss mods
    Grid2
    Omen
    Onebag3
    Outfitter
    Quartz
    Recount
    X-perl

If on my pally I add in...

Palatank
    PallyPower
    Tank Points
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    gatherer w/ the wowhead database = awesome
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Questhelper
    Cartographer
    Auctioneer Suite
    Bagon
    OmniCC
    OmniCC Pulse
    Gatherer
    Recount
  • edited April 2009
    At the moment...

Align
    Atlas Loot
    BigWigs
    ButtonFacade
    Cartographer
    Dominos
    Dotimer
    FishermansFriend
    Fubar
    Lightheaded
    Omen
    Ora2
    PallyPower
    Parrot
    Prat
    Quartz
    Recount
    Satrina Buff Frame
    Sexymap
    TomTom
    Xperl

Recent screenshot here...
  • edited May 2009
    Does the curse client still suck? I much preferred the original WoWace Updater, I wish they still kept it going. Not to mention you have to pay for the curse client if you want it to automatically update your mods.

addons1021Mid.jpg

wowscrnshot_102408_0425534326Mid.jpg

I get claustrophobic if too much is on my screen.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Curse works for me just fine as of right now. You did lose the "update all" function unless you get premium.. but I just click 1 at a time (which is all that ever needs updating at any one time mostly) and click update.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Guess I should start using some of the addons to make things a little easier.
    Should I get the Curse client in order to DL & use Questhelper?
    Is there other addons you all would recommend for a beginner?
    my character -- Kordis / Blood Elf / Paladin / LVL 12
  • edited June 2009
    I'm not a fan of the Curse client, I just have a favorites list on Curse that I can check for updates.

For beginners I'd recommend a map mod, something like Cartographer and a quest mod. A good alternative to Questhelper is Lightheaded. Basically it gives you a frame in your quest log which links to Wowhead so you can read about the quest, get tips and coordinates if you want them.

You can worry about the other stuff later. Best not to install too much at this point as some mods practially play the game for you ;)

If you want to take the mystery out of loot and crafted items Atlas gives you a list of pretty much all items in the game for you to look at. You can also make yourself a wishlist to track your future gear.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Thnx rapture,
    I'll read up on your suggestions.
    I was reading about some of the add-ons yesterday and some look interesting.
    I did get the Curse client and installed Bagon. It's nice to see all of my inventory at once.
    I just sized the window a little smaller to my liking.
    I wanted to wait on getting anything else until I got some input.
    I think I am going to get Cartographer. that looks very helpful.
    And I agree with not having to much. That's why I was asking.
    I like playing the game and not having a mod play it for me.
    I don't mind having something that helps me learn or is a useful tool.
    Thnx again for posting.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Haven't played in a a while... but was wrote this up before on mods and what I like and why... there use to be links... they didn't copy on over

loadit - lets you enable/disable mods in game w/o relogging
    gladius - all purpose arena mod
    bartender 4 - bar mod
    aguf - unit frames, movable and allows showing of a focus frame
    outfitter - item mod to switch between "sets" of gear (Personally i prefer item rack but its always slow to update)
    bankitems - allows you to view your bank & alt banks on any realm.
    omen - threat meter for raids
    recount - dps/heals meter for raids
    phanxchat - a chat mod i use, allow the window to scroll with the mouse wheel, colors names, can shorten "guild" to "g" etc.... can move the bar you enter text in to the top or bottom of chat box... etc...

must have druid mods:
    druid bar - shows an mp while in feral forms
    badkitty - a MUST have to keep up with dps rotations in pve

Near the end of playing I also grabbed grid, started to use it and really like it. #1 thing to note is you have to resize it at first, otherwise you just sit and go WTF why is it so friken huge?!