cp_silo_c-alpha

edited February 2009 in Team Fortress 2
WARNING!!! THE MAP CRASHES ON A FULL 32 MAN SERVER! THIS WILL BE FIXED PROMPTLY!

Hello

My brother and I have been building this map for the past few months. This is our first alpha stage public release. We would like to know how others think about it. Read below for more information.

Map Environment:
The original idea was to recreate Sector C from the original Half-Life. After some thought we realized this would be boring and the layout of sector C is not TF2 friendly. So we took the idea of Sector C and decided to make it Sector C from the 1960s. In other words Silo C, since Black Mesa used to be a ICBM base. The upper level or round 1 layout is similar to Sector C from HL but after that we built our own layout. Of course we had to add the ridiculous endless pit by the train tracks, beware to those who jump down into the abyss!

So this map is an underground missile base in which the players are in an area called Silo C.

Map Objectives:
Blue: Take over the base from Red and stop the launch of a Titan II ICBM.
Red: Defend the base until the Titan II launches.

Map Features:
 2.3 million sq feet of playable space
 6 Control Points split into 3 rounds, 2 each.
 Respawn points and rounds change in real time
 Blue assaults, red defends
 Various custom textures, custom soundscapes
 HDR enabled

What we want from testers:
We need feedback so please give it to us. To help with feedback this is some things we need answers for.

1) How is the layout of Round 2 and 3? Any suggestions to make it better? What can be added, removed, changed?

2) What areas in round 2 and 3 did you and your team use the least?

3) What did you like the most about the map? The least?

4) How did the map do performance wise, did it slow down your computer at all? What area? Please provide some basic computer information if it does.

5) Overall what did you think? Enjoyable? Challenging? Boring? Claustrophobic? Etc...

Thanks and have fun!

I would like to play test this map on a private server I own. Maybe if I can I would want to test it every night at 10pm EST. If you want to join add me as a friend. My steam id is brick400.

The server is connect 208.167.234.158:27015; password test

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/78274

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Looks fun! But really defensible. I'd love to see how it plays.

I'll probably drop in a couple times in the next week or this weekend just to tool around.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I wish I had time to make a TF2 map :-/ I've frequently thought about.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Map looks interesting. Maybe we'll try it if you hang around for a while. Twould seem a little rude to pop in for 1 post and then leave :/

Edit: Also, welcome :wave:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Oh, and welcome to Icrontic!!! ;)
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm... interesting.

Also Tiberius whatever happened to that map you were working on?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    Also Tiberius whatever happened to that map you were working on?

Ya, about that. Uh...it became sentient and I had to kill it. Its one of the things you take on as a risk when doing such things.
  • edited January 2009
    Hey, If you have a server you want to throw it up on go right ahead, but if you can contact me first because I would like to be there.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I would love to try this. Very cool.

And welcome.
  • edited February 2009
    Hey, have a new version of the map up on fpsbanana. New link is posted in this post.

178675qe1.th.jpg

178676ra3.th.jpg

178677mf8.th.jpg

178678xr9.th.jpg

Changes in Version 1.1

Map Wide:
    --Removed various sprites, prop_physics, prop_dynamics and point_spotlights to decrease ingame entity count. Sadly a lot of physical props and breakable crates had to go. Ingame entity count now seems to max with one player at around 1600.
    --Intervals between rounds are now 60 seconds.
    --Blue Team objective has changed slightly. Now the location of the Control Room is stated.

Round 1:
    --Rebuilt and widened the tunnel between Blue's train drop off area and the lobby.
    --Added a second doorway to the lobby from the train room for blue.
    --The vault door to the rock tunnel now opens and stays opened after Blue caps Data Link. This is to help show blue where to go next.
    --Blue team no longer needs to jump to go over the dump truck after the vent. Blue can now run over the truck.
    --Added two new signs, Data Link and Security Hub.
    --Turns out the light generating entity for the hanging lights in the blue trainroom were stuck inside the prop. Fixed. Lighting is now correct in this area.

Lockeroom:
    --Rebuilt the orange hallway. This hallway now exits at door #24, the last door before the stairway to the Security Hub. Only Blue can use this hallway since some Red players went down this hallway and got lost at the start of the map.
    --The main area ceiling no longer goes black when the player goes into the bathroom area.

Data Link:
    --The strength of the breakable windows has been decreased.
    --Players no longer need to jump through the windows once they are broken. But to add some action stunts you still could.
    --Made the middle beam of the windows non-solid.
    --Players no longer get snagged on the computer props when jumping through the windows. This happened if a player jumped just right.

Security Hub:
    --Added healthpacks on stairway.
    --Made the second level windows with a line of sight to the stairway unbreakable to stop massive spam fire by red.
    --Added ceiling signs over the Gate 2 doors to LQ and Fuel.
    --Within the SH, removed the support poles underneath the stairs next to the caged weapons. The stairway metal beams have been rebuilt and now fit together much better.

Round 2:
    --Vault doors to the upperlevel 'candy cane' tunnels will now open for Red only. This is to stop blue from respawn camping Red and move battles towards the CPs.
    --Removed the rotating alarm light graphic activated after engineering is capped within the tunnels. Now the alarm is a constant red light.

Living Quarters:
    --Entire area has been rebuilt. Playable area has been halved. Overall layout remains the same.
    --Travel time from the respawns to this area has been decreased.
    --Removed the mirrored second half of the top floor.
    --Removed the back area behind the CP on the first floor.
    --Moved the un-barricaded stairway closer to the middle.
    --Removed the open apartments.
    --Doubled the size of the CP capable area.

Fuel:
    --Engineers can no longer build devices on top of the fuel silos.
    --Increased intensities of the all spotlights. The spotlights that pointed to the sides of the fuel silos now point towards the top center.
    --Removed the fuel silo pit. Increased the lower floor area to fill in the gap.
    --Added a simple beam network on the top floor.

Round 3:
    --Blue team has a new respawn location! Blue now spawns in the Silo Maintenance room, the room with the Pyro suits.
    --Removed the unused hallway. This was part of an older layout no longer in use.
    --Doors to the Round 2 ‘Candy Cane’ tunnels no longer open for players coming from Round 3. This is to stop lost players from venturing back into Round 2 getting further lost.
    --Added a bunch of blue arrow signs to make general paths to the control room more clear for blue.

Silo Maintenance Room:
    --This room is now blue team’s respawn room for round 3.
    --Red can no longer enter this room.
    --Added a primitive structure for another idea, but we scrapped it. This structure remains just to add something to the room for now.
    --Removed some Pyro suits from the suit containers.
    --Removed the lowest floor.

ICBM Silo:
    --Created a prototype beam network for going up between a few levels.
    --Increase intensity of all spotlights.
    --Added new caged red lights.

Control Room:
    --Decreased strength of breakable glass.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/80430
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Ya, about that. Uh...it became sentient and I had to kill it. Its one of the things you take on as a risk when doing such things.

So it sucked that badly huh?