Very important HP ink and printer questions

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited January 2009 in Hardware
Scenario and Question 1:

I have a HP 5850 that worked great for a modern printer. Someone bought me a refill ink cartridge and I needed to use it so I gave it a shot. The very instant I started using it the printer quit printing "right", like its partly out of alignment, and would often just f*** up, often made weird grinding noises, and nothing of the like ever happened once prior to this refill ink cartridge. The printer lasted I think 3 years about. My only complaints on this printer were the door not always shutting completely and having a sensor for that, newer modern less capacity ink cartridges, and this issue that pissed me off.

Can refill ink cartridges screw up printers? Or was I just terribly coincidentally unlucky?

Scenario and Question 2:

About 1-2 years ago I tried using a cheap give-away printer from HP that had been sitting maybe a year unused, at most. It would not print.

Could the ink cartridge have expired AND disabled itself electronically? Or is it more likely it dried up?

Scenario and Quesion 3:

My current HP printer, a K5400 is really annoying.
I dislike:
giant size,
it WILL NOT PRINT AT ALL if it thinks the ink is low, regardless of which cartridge it is,
it takes forever to boot up to the network, unlike the 5850,
it takes forever to "ready itself" when powering up,
just opening the door to the cartridges makes it think i changed one,
and it lacks wireless connectivity, unlike the 5850,
print quality I think is slightly worse, but can't remember exactly - faster though, than the 5850,
and I seem to go through more money on ink than I did in the past?

So, is this common now, where printers don't let you print when they think their ink is too low? I personally liked printing until I couldn't see ink anymore, then replace. Also, could inks expire and disable themselves on this unit?