Compatible PSU for gtx 280?

Miss_AlefMiss_Alef South Dakota
edited June 2009 in Hardware
I just got a studio xps. I picked their cheapest video card because I planned on buying a gtx 280 later. The power supply that came with the studio xps is only 350W, on top of which, I do not believe it has the correct connectors for a gtx 280. I have spent about 4 hours looking for a power supply with the dimensions 150mm x 140mm x 86mm, because the chasis is too small to have anything else. I am fairly new to computer components, so I have not been able to find what I think I need. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    This 500W model might work.

It's either that, or you'll need a separate VGA power supply to run the card, provided you can find a way to fit it in the case. Do you have two empty bays for it?

You're fighting an up hill battle.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012

Id recommend a OCZ atleast of this wattage
    edited January 2009
    Gnome, unless I'm mistaken, that PSU wont work. Dells need Dell-spec PSUs.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Not so much the Dell spec.. just that you need the dimensions.

Dell did quit using proprietary connectors finally.
  • Miss_AlefMiss_Alef South Dakota
    edited January 2009
    I have read in a couple of different places that any ATX power supply will work as long as it fits in the case. I also saw step by step pictures of someone replacing the psu at http://www.voidware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=2. I was attempting to find a psu of 600W or 700W, but the ones I found, I could not verify if they were compatible with the gtx 280 since it needs a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector. I hadn't seen anything about a VGA power supply, and I don't know if I have the room for one. If you follow the link, Buddy J, you can see what the inside of my computer looks like, the only difference between mine and that one is I have two hdd's. There appears to be quite a bit of room towards the front of the computer.
    edited January 2009
    Gotcha. Thanks Ryder.
    edited January 2009
    So then yes, Gnome's suggested 600W OCZ StealthXStream would work fine for you. There is also a 700W version.

I have the 600W'er and am quite pleased with it.
  • Miss_AlefMiss_Alef South Dakota
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the help.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited June 2009
    ? Whats that got to do with this topic?