UK renounces net neutrality and Cox signs on for throttling

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Cox is the big ISP in Oklahoma. Hope they change their mind.
  • dEV
    edited January 2009
    Already happening in the UK. I have a 20MB connection but if I download more than 3GB during peak hours I am dropped to a 5MB connection for 5 hours.

Not the 'unlimited' connection I signed up for a year ago.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Badbadbadbadbad.

BT keep screwing us over. We were on 'unlimited' (50GB a month & reasonable usage limitations >.>) and then BT phoned and offered us a free router, when asked they said that if we were to accept NOTHING would change; they just wanted to throw money as us. Pffffff. We accepted it anyway, not that I can remember why, and now they're STILL charging us for unlimited, but have dropped us to 10GB because the router they offered us was part of the 10GB package.

GYAAAAAAAAAAH.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Cox is the big ISP in Oklahoma. Hope they change their mind.
    Fortunately they're not the only game in town. AT&T U-Verse is available in my neighborhood, and there's also @Link that BuddyJ has. Hopefully Cox changes their mind, but I doubt it'll happen.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    AT&T is also onboard with bandwidth caps and throttling.
  • edited February 2009
    Legal bit torrent no longer works at all through Cox Communications. I started a legal download 7 hours ago. So far no data has transferred. Just to be sure I found several other heavily seeded legal torrents to test. Not one single byte of data has come through. Uploading is also dead in the water. As someone involved with web development this is a major, major problem. Uploading and downloading from SVN, Sourceforge, Apt repositories and YaST repositories (at least) has been completely crippled.

What Cox has done is not throttling. Cox has completely shut down bit torrent traffic, at least for the time being here in Northwest Arkansas. The WalMart Headquarters is only a mile away. At least WalMart will be affected as well, but they can just throw piles of money at the problem. This is one hell of a start to Cox's new "throttling" policy: No bandwidth for developers..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Mr. Devoran, thank you for weighing in on this issue with your experiences. Your very pertinent comments have made our front page.