External HD not showing up

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hi.

I just recently bought a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drive, and an external enclosure to go with it. I assembled it today, powered it up and plugged it into my computer. It installed, like all USB devices does, and the little bubble in the corner said "your device is now installed and ready to use". Jolly good, I thought, and went to "My Computer" to start backing up files. It hadn't shown up there. I plugged it out and back in. I tried all of my computers USB-ports, both 1.1 and 2.0. Nothing.
I tried to add it through control panel, but it was already on the list, and it said the device was working properly.
I pressed the "safely Remove Hardware" in the right corner and the HD is on that list. I tried stopping it, and plugging it back in. Still nothing.

From what I can see it works properly, and shows up everywhere, except in "My Computer". This is a brand new HD, and it spins up properly from what I can hear. Could it be that the HD is too big for my computer to handle? Are there anything I have to do to the HD to make it a slave or something?

Thank in advance.
I have a HP Compaq 6715b laptop, with an 80GB HD.

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Hey jokke!

I'd guess the drive isn't formatted.
    Right click My Computer and Select Manage.
    When the Computer Management dialog comes up go down to Disk Management

At that point a Wizard will pop up so you can format the drive or you'll have to do it manually.

If the Drive has a Black Bar is Disk Management it's not Partitioned. Right click the Bar, select Partition and follow the screens...
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Wondeful! Thanks, Troll, worked like a charm. Now I know that for next time. Thanks again!
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    You are Most Welcome!