External Hard drive failure and replacement

edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hi All

I have a 3 year old fujitsu 80bg external hardrive (USB), which I was just about to replace with a 1tb firewire... typically its just failed!!! (i think) When i connect it up the light comes on, but there is no spin, i did dropped it yesterday - do you think there is any hope:eek2:? anything I can do to recover the data :eek:?

I use a mac osx 10.4 / windows xp macbook pro - any recommendations for a replacement external hard drive? I was going to go for the seagate 1tb triple interface drive...

Thanks HEAPS
:respect:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I have no recommendations for a replacement, but given that the drive does not even spin up, I'd say that there's not much that can be done. :(
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    If the drive doesn't even spin there's not much you can do, but that doesn't mean there is nothing you can do. If you dropped it and then it stopped working it's possible that just a connector in the case is broken. You may be able to pop that enclosure open and put the drive in another external enclosure. Now this would be a last ditch effort.

As for a replacement drive I'd suggest that whatever you get try and get one with it's own power connector and not one that relies on power from the usb port.