proxies

edited February 2009 in Hardware
im sure this is in the wrong section but what i was wanting to know is.. Can someone track you if you are using a proxy? for ex: If i were at my personal home computer and I used a proxy for say another forum of some sort, could the forum moderators track me through my ip address? or could they track me at all? Could the police track me for that matter?

Not trying to do anything illegal. But i wanna join an ex friend of mine's forum without him knowing that its me..

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    many forums have other ways of detecting duplicate accounts: spammers use proxies with a wide variety of IP addresses, so we have to keep on top of that in order to reduce spam.

We can use a wide variety of metrics to determine whether or not you've been to this forum before, despite your use of a proxy, for example.

I'm not saying your friend's site uses those methods, but the software is out there.
  • edited February 2009
    this website seems to get alot of views.. So would you say that websites that get lots of views typically use sch methods
  • edited February 2009
    I plan on posting on his website. i dont think he'd figure it out if i merely created a username. But once i post he might be suspicious...
    edited February 2009
    Yes. Spam is a major problem on large sites like this, so we use all the tools we can.
  • edited February 2009
    lol if used a proxy to vist another proxy? Obviously it'd be really slow but still would i have a chance then?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Just use Tor and get it over with.
    edited February 2009
    i mean, whatever. do what you do. It sounds shady to me. If you get caught, you get caught. If you don't, you don't.. The tools are out there. Whether they use them is a dice toss. Go for it. :shrug:
  • edited February 2009
    I see what your saying. I understand how it sounds shady to.. I appreciate your advice. And nothing bad will come out of getting caught other than some embarassment.. lol. But 5 years from now no one would even remember... lol
    edited February 2009
    According to Thrax's Internet Time Coordinated clock, the age of an embarrassing moment on the internet lasts approximately 4 days.
  • edited February 2009
    lol ok.