Booting Problems

ArevallArevall NRK
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hello people. Just registered here hoping to find some helpful people :)

Problem description:
My computer won't boot proper. It started out a few months ago when it would power-off during windows booting. This would happen randomly but only sometimes.

Since appearing this problem has became more and more reoccuring, now to the point it won't boot.

What I've done so far:
I tried running the computer from the XP install disk, but it will power off while initializing the installerprogram.

I also tried swapping the RAM for 1 stick at a time with no success.

Tried swapping the harddrive for another one but had the same problem with that one.
The thing is that drive had windows 2000. I would get a stop error code with 0xC0000034 (probably OS going mad from harddrive changes), but when trying to run from cd the power off problem would appear,

Help appreciated!
/Jonathan

Edit:
SX4SPE mobo, AOpen.
intel 865PE chipset
1gb ddr memory (2 sticks)

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Considering the age of the AX4SPE MB I'd take the cover off and check the board for bad capacitors, those are caps that are bulging, split open, have dried yellow electrolyte on top or any combination of the above.

This wiki page shows bad caps:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

If your board has these then that is what's causing your power off condition and the board needs to be replaced. (I've replaced caps before with varied success as other parts can get damaged when the caps let go.)

If you do not have any of these caps then a bad powersupply or a dirt clogged heatsink on the CPU can cause shutdowns.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    Could also be PSU.

If they are completely random power offs I think you can rule out over heating. might be worth making sure that all is clean inside though.