DVD problem...

edited February 2009 in Hardware
Afternoon all.
Firstly got to say am not THAT PC literate so bear with me and speak slowly!
My PC is 4 years old, it does everything I need of it. It came with INTERVIDEO Win DVD5, which worked fine for watching my DVD's. Now, however, it don't work. I haven't tried using it for a while. The programme opens ok, but it won't play. When I insert a DVD into the drive, the computer doesn't seem to recognise its there. Media Player and RealPlayer won't play DVD either.

Music CD's work fine, everything else with the CD/DVD drive works as it should.

I've been through all the troubleshooter bits I can, i says everything is working as it should.

Not that important but very VERY annoying!

Any ideas?
Cheers
Chris

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Can you see the contents of the DVD? Or it seems as though nothing has been inserted?
  • edited February 2009
    Seems like nothing has been inserted. Its fine with anything other than DVDs.
    edited February 2009
    A lot of DVD-ROM drives, particularly from your generation, either used two separate lasers or two separate chips for reading/decoding DVD content. This means that if one of the chips or lasers failed, one type of media would work just fine, but not the other. I think this is your case; I believe your drive has one foot in the grave.
  • edited February 2009
    Ok thanks.... I have an older PC with a cd/dvd Drive... I suppose its not so simple that i could put that one in?! Or maybe I'll just have to break open the wallet!
    Cheers
    edited February 2009
    You should be able to swap it in just fine. :)
  • edited February 2009
    Thats great, thanks for the help... I no doubt will be back!!