Sound Card Problems

edited February 2009 in Hardware
I have an HP Pavillion i bought around Christmas 2 years ago, and I think the onboard sound crapped out on me. What has led me to this conclusion is sometimes you would start the computer and have no audio. But, if you wiggled the wires for the speakers were they plug into the computer the sound would come back on. So, i'm guessing that's a hardware problem. I even tried hooking up a different set of speakers, to make sure my speakers weren't the problem. Same results. Wiggle the connector in the input jack and it starts working.
3 days ago, the audio geeked out again and no amount of wiggling fixed the problem. So, since i'm such such a technical genius, i go out and buy a new sound card thinking, "this should solve the problem". I went all out and opted for the Sound Blaster Audigy SE. It cost me 30 bones at Wally World, but i figured, since i'm an audiophile, cost was no object.
I installed the card, installed the drivers, updated the drivers, and still no dice with the audio. I even hooked up the second set of speakers to make sure it wasn't a speaker problem....again. Now i'm really scratchin' my head. If it was a software problem, the drivers should have fixed it...right? If it was a hardware problem, then the new card should have taken care of the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

P.S. I'm running Windows Vista Home and the card said the drivers were compatible.

Thanks in Advance,
- Krikey

Comments

• edited February 2009
    Krikey wrote:
    I have an HP Pavillion i bought around Christmas 2 years ago, and I think the onboard sound crapped out on me. What has led me to this conclusion is sometimes you would start the computer and have no audio. But, if you wiggled the wires for the speakers were they plug into the computer the sound would come back on. So, i'm guessing that's a hardware problem. I even tried hooking up a different set of speakers, to make sure my speakers weren't the problem. Same results. Wiggle the connector in the input jack and it starts working.
    3 days ago, the audio geeked out again and no amount of wiggling fixed the problem. So, since i'm such such a technical genius, i go out and buy a new sound card thinking, "this should solve the problem". I went all out and opted for the Sound Blaster Audigy SE. It cost me 30 bones at Wally World, but i figured, since i'm an audiophile, cost was no object.
    I installed the card, installed the drivers, updated the drivers, and still no dice with the audio. I even hooked up the second set of speakers to make sure it wasn't a speaker problem....again. Now i'm really scratchin' my head. If it was a software problem, the drivers should have fixed it...right? If it was a hardware problem, then the new card should have taken care of the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated....

P.S. I'm running Windows Vista Home and the card said the drivers were compatible.

Thanks in Advance,
    - Krikey
  • edited February 2009
    Nevermind.... It's fixed. I'm a bonehead.

- Krikey
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    What'd you do to fix it? ;D
  • edited February 2009
    Thrax:crazy: wrote:
    What'd you do to fix it? ;D

I plugged the speakers into the new sound card....As opposed to the Flakey one... It appears that there may be 2 green jacks if you replace your sound card. I plugged my speakers back into the onboared sound...instead of my new sound card....LOL! (DOH!):crazy:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Doh! Make sure you turn your old soundcard off in the BIOS so there are no conflicts.
  • edited February 2009
    OK.... Thanks Thrax!