HELP Blue screen nightmare

edited February 2009 in Hardware
STOP: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x80568642, 0xF58168B4, 0x00000000). This is what I keep getting. :grumble: Yes I recently installed new hardware. Network ethernet. not sure if this problem was already there (just bought 2nd hand computer for kids to do homework on) I uninstalled drivers and hardware and this doen't seem to have helped either.Blue screen usually happens after about 20 mins surfing the net so I thought maybe it's running hot but not sure. I downloaded spybot with no issues but it keeps freezing when I try to update database. I've tried googling the stop error but to no avail. Any help would be greatly received:eek3:

Comments

• sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    This is an access violation (0xc0000005) in a driver trying to read or write address 0x80568642...
    If you want to investigate further, please enable kernel memory dumps (in vista: control panel -> system -> advanced system settings -> startup and recovery settings)

-Stephen
  • sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I should mention the minidump option may also be enough to diagnose the problem you're having. Other common advice is to run memtest86, there could be a memory problem.

-Stephen
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    1. Evaluate the condition of your PC's memory by testing it with Memtest86. If this passes...

2. Evaluate the condition of your hard drive by testing it with Hitachi DFT or the full scan in Seagate's Seatools for DOS. If this passes...

3. Evaluate the output of your power supply by testing it with a digital multimeter (DMM). If this passes...

4. At this junction, your motherboard/processor or operating system are malfunctioning. If you're interested in pursuing further hardware troubleshooting, you need to replace the CPU and/or the motherboard with identical components. Realize that the probability of the CPU and/or motherboard being faulty in such a manner that they produce the 0x0000008E error is unlikely. I suggest OS troubleshooting, which continues below...

5. Now that we've reasonably identified the OS as the source of the issue, you need to enter Windows safe mode and uninstall every device in the following categories:
    • Disk drives
    • Display adapters
    • IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    • Network adapters
    • Sound, video and game controllers

You must obtain and install the newest driver revision for your GPU, sound card, chipset, and ethernet adapter. If this has failed to resolve your issue, proceed to 6. If you cannot boot into safe mode, proceed to 7.

6. If driver replacement has failed to correct the issue, you must be absolutely positive that strains of Vundo, Smitfraud and Rustock are not present on your system. Please run these following tools/fixes in sequence: A) Vundofix, B) Smitfraudfix, C) Rustock.B Fix. If these fixes fail to correct the issue, proceed to step 7.

7. If you cannot load regular Windows, boot safe mode, or the prior fixes have failed to correct the issue there is nothing further you can do for your current installation of Windows. Please follow the "Windows does not load and/or does not appear to be installed" section of Icrontic's reformatting guide. If you're reading this step, there are no is no other recourse for your predicament. You must reformat your computer.

For more information on why the 0x0000008E error does not reveal the actual cause of the issue, please read Icrontic's guide to Why BSODs are Useless.

For more information on the cause of the 0x0000008E error:

The 0x0000008E error is one of the most common errors Windows XP experiences and it has no definitive cause. In fact, we have a long thread on Icrontic about this very error, but the fix alleged to be definitive has only worked for a handful of people. In reading the thread, you'll notice that many people have had the 0x0000008E happen to them with a variety of causes.

This blue screen is a generic error. It does not point to any one error on Windows that can be fixed with a single, static process. A system suffering from a 0x0000008E error must have every element of its design evaluated for working condition. Some users get lucky and stumble upon their faulty component on the first go, others must fine-tooth comb everything to fix the issue.

When I encounter a computer with this error, I check the hardware's condition, back up the user's data and immediately reformat. Given that there are over 20 possible causes for this error, it's not worth the time it takes to troubleshoot. Two hours of reformatting and reloading is much better than days of troubleshooting.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    1. Evaluate the condition of your PC's memory by testing it with Memtest86. If this passes...

2. Evaluate the condition of your hard drive by testing it with Hitachi DFT or the full scan in Seagate's Seatools for DOS. If this passes...

3. Evaluate the output of your power supply by testing it with a digital multimeter (DMM). If this passes...

4. At this junction, your motherboard/processor or operating system are malfunctioning. If you're interested in pursuing further hardware troubleshooting, you need to replace the CPU and/or the motherboard with identical components. Realize that the probability of the CPU and/or motherboard being faulty in such a manner that they produce the 0x0000008E error is unlikely. I suggest OS troubleshooting, which continues below...

5. Now that we've reasonably identified the OS as the source of the issue, you need to enter Windows safe mode and uninstall every device in the following categories:
    • Disk drives
    • Display adapters
    • IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    • Network adapters
    • Sound, video and game controllers

You must obtain and install the newest driver revision for your GPU, sound card, chipset, and ethernet adapter. If this has failed to resolve your issue, proceed to 6. If you cannot boot into safe mode, proceed to 7.

6. If driver replacement has failed to correct the issue, you must be absolutely positive that strains of Vundo, Smitfraud and Rustock are not present on your system. Please run these following tools/fixes in sequence: A) Vundofix, B) Smitfraudfix, C) Rustock.B Fix. If these fixes fail to correct the issue, proceed to step 7.

7. If you cannot load regular Windows, boot safe mode, or the prior fixes have failed to correct the issue there is nothing further you can do for your current installation of Windows. Please follow the "Windows does not load and/or does not appear to be installed" section of Icrontic's reformatting guide. If you're reading this step, there are no is no other recourse for your predicament. You must reformat your computer.

For more information on why the 0x0000008E error does not reveal the actual cause of the issue, please read Icrontic's guide to Why BSODs are Useless.

For more information on the cause of the 0x0000008E error:

The 0x0000008E error is one of the most common errors Windows XP experiences and it has no definitive cause. In fact, we have a long thread on Icrontic about this very error, but the fix alleged to be definitive has only worked for a handful of people. In reading the thread, you'll notice that many people have had the 0x0000008E happen to them with a variety of causes.

This blue screen is a generic error. It does not point to any one error on Windows that can be fixed with a single, static process. A system suffering from a 0x0000008E error must have every element of its design evaluated for working condition. Some users get lucky and stumble upon their faulty component on the first go, others must fine-tooth comb everything to fix the issue.

When I encounter a computer with this error, I check the hardware's condition, back up the user's data and immediately reformat. Given that there are over 20 possible causes for this error, it's not worth the time it takes to troubleshoot. Two hours of reformatting and reloading is much better than days of troubleshooting.

Sticky Sticky in its own thread!!!!
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks so much for replying. Tried everything that was suggested and to no avail. More problems started to arise and I initially didn't realise the link. System seemed to be unstable and so did I so I took computer back to shop and asked for them to completely erase pc and reinstall OS, reinstall drivers of everything etc. Just got it back and currently trialling it. Thanks for all your insight which was definitely a learning curve for me.