SATA II woes

FooharFoohar tennessee
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hello guys, I've been following this forum for a few years now, back in the short-media.com days, glad to see it's still here.

Anyways to get to the point, I am having a whole buttload of problems with my newly built (to me) pc. heres a report from Everest so we all know what we're working with.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2259 MHz (9 x 251) AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+ Socket 754 Newcastle
CPU Clock 2258.9 MHz (original: 1800 MHz, overclock: 25%)
Motherboard Name Epox EP-8HDA3(+) (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Dual LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8383 Apollo K8T800, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE (256 MB)
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC655 @ VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Storage Controller Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATARaid Controller
Disk Drive ST36811A (6 GB, IDE) <-- LOL $2.50 thrift store special
Disk Drive WDC WD800BB-56JKC0 (74 GB, IDE)
-Insert 200gb WD sataii drive here-
cpu-2213.jpg

Now heres my problems.

1. I currently have too many harddrive controllers and not enough IRQs to use. heres what device manager tells me.
irqs.jpg
I've tinkered around with these but it doesn't really change my problems below.

2. I have a WD2000JS SATAII drive that oddly shows up in BIOS as this exactly "[ WD-WCANL1880647]" I'm not sure why there are 3 spaces before its name. Also before i manually auto-detect it in bios, it shows 0mb, after = 136GB, but thats where the detection part ends..

I have done every single thing shy of kicking a fire hydrant to try to get something, anything to detect this thing from inside windows, using all sorts of harddrive maker's tools, Hiren's boot cd, Bart PE ect and they don't.
I've tried both SATA controllers, Silicon Image and Via SataRaid, I've tried every combination of the jumpers, I've tried different sata cables, updated drivers for everything (took a entire day on 5mb cable) even holding my breath and crossing my fingers and nothing works, I usually take pride in fixing anything and everything pc related with an A+ Cert/Hardware/Operating Systems/Fiber/Copper and Telecom background but I'm at a loss here.
I know I've left out a few simple things in my post but for sake of trying to read a book, masked as a post, I've pretty much done it all.

Help me get this fixed guys and you will have a uber genious redneck aboard! :mullet: (LMAO)

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2009
    Well, there's the problem. It's an Epox Board running Via. Epox doesn't make motherboards anymore. They all sucked..

Can you get that hard drive to detect in other systems?
  • FooharFoohar tennessee
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the reply.
    Thats the one thing I haven't done is try it in another pc. The only other pc I have access too is the ole lady's and she won't be too happy with me taking up her Camfrog time but I'm going too anyways and report back :P

:side note:
    Yes Epox is not desirable by any means, but you can't beat a new motherboard/2800+/generic psu (not using in said rig)/whole parts box of .. erm.. junk for $80
  • FooharFoohar tennessee
    edited February 2009
    Well just to update everyone and not leave ya hanging. The oddest thing happened with my problem, My rig started heating up for some reason, running in the 60s so i quickly rebooted and cranked the overclock down to more modest settings and then rebooted.
    Then it just refused to boot, no matter what I did so I removed a old 512MB stick of Kingston ram and it booted right up, with the 1GB stick still in. Then the SATA drive just randomly started working.....
    Who knows, nothing suprises me now days.