Trouble with new memory modules

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Hardware
I got a kitted pair of OCZ Platinum 2x2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) to put in my new gaming rig and I'm having a time getting them running anywhere near where they are supposed to be. I haven't even started OCing the CPU yet but would like to see how the system performs at all stock before I do that. Do tell me what you need to see pics of or w/e to point me to the right settings. I have it at 2.1v for DDR voltage and 5-7-7-20 timings, since I think that is what SPD told me. It is running at 537 right now, according to CPU-Z. I'll attach some screenshots. As far as I know, these should run at at least 5-5-5-18 (1T i think, as far as I know thats the better timing).

cpuscrshot.jpg
memscrshot.jpg

Comments

• MidnightFlairMidnightFlair Washington
    edited June 2009
    The RAM you have need to be set to 2.2v to run at 5-5-5-18 1T timings and yes the lower the timings of the RAM the better they run. usually. If the RAM timings are to low you can get crashes and system hangs and errors. Try changing the volts and the timings see if it works better for you.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    534.7MHz is DDR2-1069, so you're already slightly faster than what the memory is rated for.

I'd be surprised if you got 1T, so try 5/5/5/2T at 2.1v.
    edited June 2009
    yes try the 5-5-5-18 2T. or try downing your frequency of the RAM then try 5-5-5-18 1T 2.2v OCZ RAM is made for overclocking so you could try 2.5v at the speed you have now with 5-5-5-18 1T.
    edited June 2009
    Do not under any circumstances run that memory at 2.5v. It'll fry faster than an egg on hot skillet. That much voltage is just begging for the DIMMs to die.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Do not under any circumstances run that memory at 2.5v. It'll fry faster than an egg on hot skillet. That much voltage is just begging for the DIMMs to die.

The lulzbringer is right. I definitely LOLed at that statement and totally agree. Some RAM is voltage friendly, this set is not. I upgraded to 8GBs and now its running back down at 400MHz aka DDR2-800. I need to go play with the BIOS but I think that to get the clock speeds I was at before, I had to get some custom SPD data to put on them. That doenst seem like how I should have to do it.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Custom SPD? Why?

You don't need a custom SPD to run 1066.

Also, officially, AMD only supports 1066 with 1 module per channel (2 sticks)
    edited June 2009
    You should realize that at 1066 there usually <b>is</b> no SPD data. You have to do the heavy-lifting yourself at those speeds, and that means an adventure through the BIOS. 8GB of RAM also wreaks havoc on both memory controllers and PWMs, so it's extra tricky.
  • edited June 2009
    I would just run them at DDR2-800. This will help with your CPU overclocking too.
    edited June 2009
    I have never owned DDR2 RAM. I was going off of my exp. with OCZ DDR RAM was vary voltage friendly. I went form DDR to DDR3. Guess i need to find a DDR2 system to play with XD.
    edited June 2009
    See Thrax's infinite pool of wisdom. The SPD data doesnt contain any info for 1066 (LAME) so someone wrote some custom SPD ROM files that let you just auto select instead of doing the forementioned heavy lifting. Takes away serials and such so make sure to back it up!
    ryderOCZ wrote:
    Also, officially, AMD only supports 1066 with 1 module per channel (2 sticks)
    Does officially mean it wont boot with more than 1 module per channel? I only have 4 slots, so it's either go 4x2GB or 2x2GB and 4GB was filling up too quickly. I'm thinking I'll prolly stick with Mirage's suggestion unless someone can recommend a good site to look at the heavy lifting. I know the normal timings, but if it's gonna be a ridiculous hassle, I'd rather not do it this time. I want my gaming rig to be working rather than fussing over a lil speed.
    edited June 2009
    Are you using custom SPD's from someone other than OCZ?
    edited June 2009
    I'm unsure if the source I had gotten them from was tied to OCZ or not, but it wasn't from OCZ's website. I'm only running it on my two original sticks. The new sticks (of identical RAM) are running original SPD still.
    edited June 2009
    The easiest way to get extra performance out of AMD is to set 800 mode.

Then raise the HTT (FSB) and OC the CPU and the NB (memory controller on the CPU). If you get the CPU-NB up to 2400, even 2600 if you have a good one. Memory at about ~900.. maybe a bit more. You will have about 35% more performance than CPU at stock and ram at 1066.

What I described above is very doable and pretty easy with most boards, even using 8GB.

Set your CPU-NB (not the NB.. NB will be the chipset on the mobo) Voltage to 1.3V.. that should be good for almost 2600 on most NB's.

CPU voltage in the 1.3 - 1.35V range should get you near 3.6 - 3.7GHz on the CPU if not higher.
    Ram voltage at 1.9 - 2.0V.. sometimes even 1.85V is enough.
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the tips. I've been meaning to get back in there and do some dirty work but haven't made the time.