hardware changes HP dv8315nr

puter_guyputer_guy Orlando
edited March 2009 in Hardware
I love this machine but it has its problems. I have had it not for about two years but now I am experiencing a few problems.

1. The keyboard has been a problem since it was new. HP told me that it was software and that I should make some software changes. However, I have bought a replacement keyboard and would like to replace it.

2. There is a space for a second drive. I would like to do that. I have a mounting bracket but would like some info of how to do it and make it as seamless as possible.

3. Last but not least, there are several lines through the display. I rebuilt the display in my old Vaio but would like some guideance to the process here in order to change it out.

Thanks in advance.

puter_guy

Comments

• puter_guyputer_guy Orlando
    edited February 2009
    Hello out there. I did want to mention that the holding frame for the second hard drive is out there in the world but the folks that have them treat them as gold. I found one at a computer repair shop and they wanted $30. I also found one on ebay and got it for $15. So they are out there.

Thanks to Sledgehammer70, I now know how to swap out the keyboard. The new keyboard cost me $40 however, if it solves the dropped character problem, it will be worth it. I have also used a standalone keyboard with my puter but whats the point. So I will go this route and let you know the results.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    To swap the screen on this bad boy is very costly. When I last checked for someone else it was roughly $481. If you find the guide to break the system down RyderOCZ or MackOZC might still have the link or could find it. The Monitor is only connected to the Mobo by a plug. As for taking the bezel off, I had not attempted that.
    edited February 2009
    Hi Sledgehammer70, Thanks for the information. I was just online with HP and wanted to know what you thought about what they told me. Presently I have a Seagate 100gig, 5400, sata hard drive, in the primary postion in the laptop. HP told me that I could only add an additional hard drive that matches the specs of that drive already. Not faster 7200, not bigger 250gig, just the same. Oh by the way, I was able to cure some of the keyboard problems by upgrading the bios. I know, I didnt believe it either but it did seem to fix the problem.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    That sounds like a load of crap about the hard drive. Worst case scenario it would not work any faster. However, a lot of people upgrade from 5200 rpm harddrives to 7200rpm drives with success. I've never heard of anyone saying it failed or performance didn't increase.

Everyone knows the biggest bottle neck in any pc is the hardrive. I'd go for it and see what happens. In the end if it doesn't work out all you'll need to do is return a hardrive and possibly loose a few bucks for shipping.

MY 2c... hopefully someone that is more knowledgeable about upgrading laptop harddrives will post up.
    edited February 2009
    Thanks Komete...I was thinking of doing it anyway. I know these tech people mean well but....The first thing the tech told me was that my computer could only take one hard drive. I promptly pointed out to him that I had already removed the cover plate and saw that there was a space for a second drive. He apologized and choked it up to his reference media not working right. You really have to keep checking these guys out.
    edited March 2009
    Hi everyone...I just came across a company in New Jersey by the name of Bliss Computers. They have great prices on replacement displays for laptops. They also have a great "how to" tool on how to change the display. Check them out.
    edited March 2009
    Hello everyone...The Bliss Computer folks are the source for laptop displays. I was able to locate the number of my display from the back of it. I looked it up on their web page and ordered a new display. They shipped it out in about 4 days for about $150. I installed it and it is working great. In fact, it appears to be working better than new. I can't begin to tell you how cool this is. Now onto the new, bigger hard drive.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2009
    Glad you were able to get it working. Looking forward to seeing how the hardrive works out.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2009
    I saw this laptop hardrive and thought of you. 320 gig, 7200 rpm, and 16meg buffer for only 50 after mir. 69.99 before rebate. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008894&prodlist=dealnews

Not a bad deal, I think.
    edited March 2009
    Hi there...thanks for the tip. I will have to check it out. Take care.