MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von PuttenhamCalifornia Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Nice article... Thanks!!
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Good work. I wish people would use this strategy guide more! Nothing like a shotgunner going "cowboy" to dampen my mood for L4D.
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    i should have read this before I played tonight
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    IMO shotties are better put to use as the pointman, rather than middle of the pack, with an automatic weapon at the ready just behind him. When a horde comes, I think a group is better prepared with shotguns crouched at either end. Otherwise rather than trying to pick off individuals, they target the groups and allow the automatics to take potshots at nearby stragglers.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like what I suggested in the second situation, the one pertaining to when the horde comes.
    edited February 2009
    I was talking about your first, as well. ;)
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Ah, you mean the skirmish. Very good. :)

Your suggestion has merit and is a good obvious tactic, but I would personally avoid its use in a skirmish. Generally in a skirmish (like when you exit the apartments in level 1 of No Mercy) means there aren't really any groups for the shotgunner to shoot at - just stragglers at all angles. The actual situation I'm envisioning is a tight formation where 'shotgun at center' really means 'shotgun and long ranger in practically the same space firing at zombies respective to their range, but since in a skirmish situation so few zombies get to short range, the shotgunner is really just stuck protecting the ranger.' Of course, the second phrase doesn't really roll off the tongue, you see? :P

I find it less efficient to have a shotgunner watching the undead go down via rifles and waiting for some of them get in range (it means you're not watching oblique angles). I think it's more useful to pay attention to teammates and keep them safe while they hit the guys you'd just waste your ammo on.

Now, if you've got skirmishes with GROUPS, I'd say you're definitely on the right track. :)
    edited February 2009
    Ah, right, so I think we're basically talking about the same thing anyway with that explanation. For clarification's sake I'll explain what I meant. The way I play the shotgun, I've usually got my butt pressed against some kind of surface to limit what I've got to watch. With respect to ammo, I'm not firing unless I absolutely need to. Like you said, it's useless to try to pick off something 40yds away with a shotgun.

In the same scenario you've posted, I'll move to the far wall and hug the car along the way rather than hang my butt out in the middle of the road to narrow angles. With everyone in file, shotguns are already in position to take on a horde at either end of the alleyway without having to mess with shifting positions, and no danger of odd angles to watch.

Edit: tl;dr - I agree, shotguns should watch ranged in open areas. Shotguns should lead/rear guard in narrow spaces, and only fire when necessary to conserve ammo.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Good article :thumbsup:
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Yes. Thanks.
  • edited March 2009
    hi
    great artile here! really helpfull. thanks for it.
    i will post link in garena forum, i think many newcomers should read this! for sure
    thanks
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    What do you mean nobody know how to reload a shotgun? I do that all the time.

In skirmishes I agree your role is to protect the group close up, but usually there's enough time to just swap to your pistol and pick off zombies with headshots.

My most important tip for playing shotgun: don't pick up that extra pistol! The reload time is awful. I much prefer single pistols with fast reload. I regularly swap from pistol to shotgun, a habit I got from Counterstrike.