Building a new Rig and looking for input

BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hi All,

After 3 years, it's time to build a new computer and move my current rig to the status of backup. They key reasons are because:
  1. I want a faster machine
  2. The hard drive I bought a month back doesn't work with my motherboard (tried everything and verified the drive was good. First SATA drive for the computer and the motherboard has a first-gen SATA Raid controller.)
  3. Wanted a new case so my son can't play with the power button while I'm working/gaming :)

Okay, so I already bought the case (Antec P182 Gun Metal Black) and the power supply (Thermaltake W0116RU 750W). They were on sale at a price too tempting to pass up.

Here are the other parts I've scoped out:
This is what I'm looking at and would like my fellow community's advice. Price matters so I need to get the most bang for my buck and save money where I can. I'm buying parts as they go on sale so there's a good chance that I won't actually have the rig built for ~8 weeks. I'm not planning on overclocking and I'm really interested in keeping the rig quiet with silent fans as the machine lives in our living room.

Thanks for your help! You're suggestions are highly respected and grateful. (Do I get my IC Achievement now? :rockon: )

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Looks like some solid choices, Blu.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    If you are looking for a way to cut cost a little there is a Xigmatek CPU cooler in our trading forum here. Comes with the back plate so you don't have to use the push-pins.

Check this Scythe case fan, $8.99 68CFM at 24dbA. Makes sure to keep the noise down and the temps.

Everything looks good. Here is a recertified 9800 GT.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    or buy the 9800Gt in the forums for sale I would check out OCZ PSU's
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Great to know. Thanks for all the friendly advice. I'll keep it all in mind as I slowly acquire parts.