Which DVI cable to use?

edited February 2009 in Hardware
I've installed my GeForce 9400GT video card and I'm currently using the Analog adapter to one of the DVI ports on the card. I have a DVI port on my monitor as well so I'd like to use a DVI cable instead of the Analog adapter. However, the ports aren't exactly the same and I'm not sure what cable I need. The video card has a DVI-I 29 pin (or 24+5) female connection and the monitor appears to be a 24+1 female connection. I've checked around and I see alot of cables listed as DVI-D singles which are 24+1. Will one of these cables work or do I need one that's DVI-I 29 pin to DVI-D 24+1? I haven't seen one yet with that configuration so I came here to ask the EXPERTS! lol

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    If one of the connections is DVI-D, you need a DVI-D cable.
    DVI-D cables are used for direct digital connections between source video (namely, video cards) and digital LCD monitors. This provides a faster, higher-quality image than with analog, due to the nature of the digital format.
    As for SINGLE and DUAL LINKS.
    A DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1200, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2560 x 1600.
    So, In short-- The dual link DVI pins double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality.
    Here's a pic of DVI-D Dual so you'll know which to get..
    attachment.php?attachmentid=26772&stc=1&d=1235396543
    Here's a place that has all the different versions..
    datapro
    Hope this helps.
  • edited February 2009
    AAAhhhh so Dual link DVI is actually just one cable......... lol Thanks for the information. :-)

Jut out of curiosity, since I have 2 DVI ports on my video card does that mean that I can hook up 2 DVI dual link monitors to it?
  • edited February 2009
    HOLD UP THE WAGON CHIEF!

The cables on that page that you sent me are $30.00 - $60.00...... What makes them different from the cables I saw on pricewatch for less than $10.00?
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    None its a digital cable. Here. $5 but at least that much for shipping. I would just run down to your local electronics dealer and ask for an OEM DVI-D cable or some generic like Link-Depot. Key here is go the cheapest possible for whatever distance you need.
  • edited February 2009
    Thanks for the information guys. Much appreciated!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Yes, K is correct.
    I was just using that site for reference to the DVI guide.
    It has explanations of what they look like/pin count and which type you would need.
    As K stated, You can go to your local store to get them.
    Whenever I buy pc parts for my builds, I research the quality/price etc. before purchasing.
  • edited February 2009
    Understood. Thanks for showing me that info! I figured as much but I wanted to ask why there was such a difference in price to make sure I wasn't missing something important! lol

At least you didn't show me this one! haha
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8988508&st=DVI+cable&type=product&id=1218008672822
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    It transmits your data faster....faster than light(thats what we used to say at work). Those expensive cables, generally, have massive amounts of shielding on them so there isn't noise on the line from outside sources. Generally only matters if you want to run cable through a generator or around electro mag coils and you can't have any data corruption.
    PS I have seen ones that are over 200.
  • edited February 2009
    K, I orderd the 7.99 jobber :rockon: