Piece of crap monitor backlights...

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited March 2009 in Hardware
So like 60% of the backlight surface is flickering to beat the devil right now. How long does it take these things to die? Thought I was getting a good deal on this H213H, I can see why I did now...Bastards.

I've only had this simpering bastard for about 4-5 months, and I'm already getting trouble from it. Look, just stop flickering, or die. Pick one, and stop pissing me off. I know you can see this you crappy monitor. Just die, or cut it out. I got a SOCOM match today, and if you make me lose the game, I'm gonna wing you out the window.

Sorry about that, sometimes you just need to chastise equipment to get it going right. Anybody got any clues on how this can be fixed, without the use of a soldering iron, or should I just put my fist through it and send it to acer?

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited March 2009
    Send it to Acer, the sooner the better. :)
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited March 2009
    Well damnedest thing, when the temperature in my room went over 0C, they flickered less and less. Now they're not doing it at all...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Ironically we had this problem recently. The Gateway LCD that was on one of my sons' computers would not light up (backlights were dead)

We brought it downstairs, let it warm up, and it works fine.

The other LCD upstairs (a complete cheap no-name brand) has never ceased to work despite the frigidity of my kids' bedroom.
    edited March 2009
    So, it's just the florescent bulbs acting like florescent bulbs?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    YES.

By the way, did you see the color data on the new Dell that uses colored LED backlighting.
    A notebook with the best color accuracy and range of any LCD monitor. They are actually getting close to CRTs.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    The first thing that ran through my mind is 'temperature affecting backlighting? Why?'

Let me put it to you this way - is an LCD backlight anything other than a bunch of simple circuits with an amplifier? I mean, if it were semiconductor run, you might be hitting the freeze-out region... but you'd have to have an EXTREMELY low number of dopants for it to be a freeze-out issue. Since you've probably got a S/C based amplifer, that could be the case, but it wouldn't cause a FLICKER... just poor brightness (due to higher resistances).

S/C freeze-out is the most common mechanism I know of for electronics failing at low temps, but it doesn't fit in this case. What other mechanisms would there be?

Also the hell with Dell's colored LED backlighting. Support OLEDs!
    edited March 2009
    Okay, I'm retarded. A quick wiki run tells me that LCD backlights are quite often made of LEDs (I thought they were fluorescents). LEDs being semiconductors, the freeze-out mechanism is now viable. But it still means you've got a doping concentration as low as 10^15 to be hitting it at 273 K.
    edited March 2009
    Right, so you're new to LCD's then. For the past 20 years, until recently, LCD's have been backlit by FLORESCENT BULBS. This recently changed by "OLED" lighting. Go get an old Laptop, and bust the screen out, and look at it. You'll see fragments of white glass, roughly 3mm wide. This, is a microflorescent bulb. They've been used in everything from LCD's to gas station pump signs.
    edited March 2009
    This recently changed by "OLED" lighting.
    I assume you mean "This recently changed by LED lighting." There's no point using a liquid crystal with an OLED, as the OLED can be driven by a transistor to produce its own color (and wouldn't need the liquid crystal to 'tune' the color).

My mistake though, you're right - I didn't know they used fluorescent bulbs for this stuff. LEDs have been around for so LONG... why would they do that?

Alright, then. So are you SURE it's the backlight? It occurs to me that if it's the transistor array running the liquid crystals (and correct me if I'm wrong here, most LCD monitors use a transistor array to rotate the crystals, right?), then we could blame the freeze-out effect for your problem. And then we all say "warm up your room, doofus!"

But more interestingly, if it's NOT the freeze out effect, what other mechanisms would explain your problem?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    ... the fluorescent bulbs explain the problem themselves. A dim or flickering fluorescent light is a direct result of cold temperatures. Warm the bulb, warm the gases, you get even and consistent lighting.
    edited March 2009
    I just explained my problem, furry. I have a florescent backlit LCD just like 95% of LCD's, and OLED is the market term for led backlit LCD's. Do a little market research.

And in answer to your LED thing, LEDS in the late 80's cost around 3 bucks to make. LED's in the 90's cost about a dollar and a half each. Now, they're made for nickels. LED's also don't deliver consistent light, because any dip in the current, or voltage will result in maybe just ONE not working. Florescent bulbs have been around since the 40's, and they are cheap to make, and have an excellent life time. They also have quite a bit of voltage and current tolerance, so they can be under/over volted, and receive a bit more current than they draw, and function a bit longer. LEDS burn out almost immediately after receiving too much voltage or current. Also think about this. One LED burns out, you've got a small dark spot on the monitor. Are you willing to send it in for that, and is the company willing to waste hundreds of man hours of processing, and the 10 minutes it'd take to replace a 6 cent led? That's not very cost effective in factory works.

My problem is, as I stated before is a florescent bulb acting like a florescent bulb. As stated before it is also recorded and solved.

Somebody close/delete this thread.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I have a florescent backlit LCD just like 95% of LCD's, and OLED is the market term for led backlit LCD's. Do a little market research.

I believe OLEDs are a single thing that emit their own light, as opposed to an LED and LCD layer you've described.
    edited March 2009
    OLED is the market term for led backlit LCD's. Do a little market research.

OLED is the "market term" for Organic Light-Emitting Diode, or a display element that can emit its own light and color. It has not a flipping THING to do with LED-backlit LCDs. LED-backlit LCDs are - wait for it - Light-Emitting Diodes positioned behind a Liquid Crystal Display. Two ENTIRELY different technologies.
    Somebody close/delete this thread.

Pretty please.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    LOL. Did he just try to say than an OLED was an LCD backlit by an LED array?
    edited March 2009
    Amish, are you seriously going to flame me for asking questions I think are pertinent? My thesis is in semiconductors with an emphasis on organics - So I pretty much know jack about finished products (a much smaller fraction use organics), and you guys DO know about it. If you don't want to answer a question, don't. You don't need to be a tool about it.
    OLED is the market term for led backlit LCD's. Do a little market research.
    Yeah, maybe I REALLY shouldn't have been asking you for any answers.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Yes, OLED is organic LED. They do have some advantages (lower power), and they are being looked at seriously for backlightling LCDs.
    However, they have a finite life. And one that is not measured in millions of hours like conventional LEDs.
    edited March 2009
    ...they are being looked at seriously for backlightling LCDs.

I don't think they're looking at them to BACKLIGHT LCDs, unless I'm very, very mistaken - they're looking at them to be the PIXELS. OLEDs produce their own light at whatever wavelength is required already, and unlike conventional crystalline S/Cs, the range of colors possible is much, much easier to engineer. They're also decidedly easy to separate.

That means instead of a bunch of polymers filtering a few huge backlights, you have an array of teensy little OLED RGB pixels stacked on top of one another and driven by a transistor array. So where an LCD has a backlight and small polymer pixels, the OLED display's pixels ARE lit.

You're right about the lifetimes, too, but here's an interesting tidbit for you: you'll find that the n-terminal of an organic transistor array (if we have OLEDs run by OTFTs, we can have flexible screens) is EXTREMELY air- and water-sensitive. If we try to use n-channel OTFTs, carrier mobility is SUPER low. This is one of the driving forces of price and one of the REALLY BIG REASONS that OLED displays are still not easy to work with in industry (processing in argon atmosphere? yuck). Neat, huh? :D
    edited March 2009
    No, I'm not going to flame you Dan. I got no reason to. You're just stating facts and correcting a few things I didn't know. I was under the impression that instead of jumping into making screens with horrid lifetimes, they were using it as a medium to provide backlights while the technology matured.

An OLED screen is a stupid idea, and stupid to buy, since the lifetime is barely 60,000 hours--In a best case scenario.

As stated earlier, since no one's gonna delete this thread or lock it, How did we get from LCD backlights to the creation of OLED screens?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    You're right, Myrmidon. OLED monitors use a TFT backplane for pixel switching, while anode/cathode-driven polarization of two organic layers provides for its own light.

No external light source of any kind is required for an OLED. No CCFL, no CFL, no LED arrays. The OLED pixel is its own light source, and its own source of color.
    edited March 2009
    Wonder what the current consumption would look like on that...
    edited March 2009
    Wonder what the current consumption would look like on that...

No idea on current consumption, but power consumption of the 11" sony screen is 45W. That depends of course on about a million various things inside the beast - semiconducting layers, dielectric - hell, even contact resistance of the transistors.

At the moment you're dead on - an OLED screen is a pretty poor idea as far as lifetime is concerned. However, keep in mind it's a new technology - it's still expensive as hell because we haven't figured out how to make a solution-processed thing (once that happens this will be cheap as hell) and it's a super-super-SUPER easy thing to improve upon because all we have to do is change the organic molecules that combine the carriers - and that's a LOT easier than guess-and-test doping of crystal LEDs.
    edited March 2009
    60,000 hours is almost 7 years of continuous operation. If you only use them sayyyyyyy 10 hours a day? That's almost 16.5 years of operation.

OLED provides extraordinarily good black levels and contrast, and it's the thinnest display material close to the market today. Surely you've seen the 3mm Sony XEL-1? Sure, it's prohibitively expensive at the moment, but near-true blacks, incredible contrast, low power requirements, and flexibility options are unparallelled.

Not saying it's a good buy, especially since blue lifetimes can be as low as 14,000 hours, but there are reasons that it IS worth it and why it's Tech Worth Pursuing.
    edited March 2009
    Also, OLED will be much easier to produce when we DO get to economies of scale, as they're essentially plastics and much easier to create large sheets of compared to trying to grow crystals.
    edited March 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Also, OLED will be much easier to produce when we DO get to economies of scale, as they're essentially plastics and much easier to create large sheets of compared to trying to grow crystals.

Most of the leading OLED tech is done by evaporating organic molecules down in a small vacuum, which SUCKS - it's basically the same way some crystals are made.

I know some research groups are working on solution-processible stuff and on inkjet printing - can you imagine inkjetting this stuff? BRILLIANT!
    edited March 2009
    10 hours a day? I'm lucky if I'm not at my desk for 15 hours a day.

So bendable, self-lighting displays eh...? Hmm..Oooh shit....HAHAHAHA...Ding.

So G Gundam's cockpits would be semi-reproducible...That is not only Win, It's also almost as awesome as I am. Wonder what the scaling requirement would be at a hardware level to program an anthropomorphic 360 degree screen? Divided into four panels, driven at I'd say...8560x3072 each? Now all I need is a sensor-on-insulator system and gyrometers that are I'd say, less than an inch in size that report both axial movement, but also force transferred to each axis. I guess the Wiimote has what I need there.

Now, all I need is a shitload of steel, and about a billion dollars. I'll be the first mad scientist with a giant robot!
  • edited March 2009
    I can't believe as smart as you people are that you haven't already figured this situation out. I could see the problem after only a few minutes of reading.......... the kids room, cold temperatures, screen flicker, upstairs no less........... this is CLASSIC poltergeist activivty.... get yourself an exorcist!!!
    edited March 2009
    Oh snap! A poltergeist!! Who am i gonna call?!
  • edited March 2009
    Ghostbusters?