Culture Shock part II - Warhammer Online

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    There are two tabletop games (the originals): Warhammer Fantasy (High Elves, Orks, etc) and Warhammer 40K (Space Marines, Tau, Eldar, etc)

There are three Warhammer RTS PC games: Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II, and Warhammer: Mark of Chaos (fantasy based)

There is one Warhammer MMO: Warhmmer Online.

Yes, the miniatures game is expensive to get into as are pretty much all miniatures games. There are models, paints, tools, and books to purchase. I play a different miniatures game (Warmachine) which requires a significant monetary and time investment but I consider it well worth it.

Now you know more.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    So is it safe to say that Warhammer Online (the MMO) is the MMO version of Warhammer Fantasy?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2009
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    *points to the many, many threads and blog posts concerning warhammer and 40k minitures*
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    So is it safe to say that Warhammer Online (the MMO) is the MMO version of Warhammer Fantasy?
    It's safe to say that Warhammer Online is an MMO game set in the Warhammer Fantasy setting, more or less. But it's still rather far removed mechanically from Warhammer Fantasy, be it Fantasy Battle or the Warhammer Fantasy RPG. In terms of comparison aside from transplanting creature names and visualls. Warhammer Online really is nothing like the mini or RPG version of the game.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Warhammer Online is the MMO offshoot of the Warhammer Fantasy universe, a 25 year old, ever growing and much beloved setting.

Good luck in your quest. I'm interested to see how your perspective is shaped based on your previous WoW experiences. The first time, you came in as a total virgin to the genre. Now you're familiar with so much more. How will that familiarity translate when you're outside your comfort zone?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It won't be much different from the time Keebler mov-- oh...
  • edited April 2009
    Warhammer Online is probably best described as being set in the Warhammer world, and drawing heavily upon the setting, context and lore of Warhammer Fantasy, whilst being most similar to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

It does not bear any resemblance to the type of game that is Warhammer Fantasy Battles, which is all about tactical battles between units of troops, war machines, heros and monsters. People who have played Warhammer Fantasy Battles will recognise a lot of the things present in Warhammer online, but the experience is a very different one.