Help dell dimension 2400 no start

edited March 2009 in Hardware
I cant start my computer. Its says hard drive not found, I tried to get it to go faster by removing some files. I guess it was the wrong file.:confused:I am new at computers so please try to use layman terms. Thanks Hondo

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Welcome to Icrontic, Hondo. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your computer. Unfortunately, without knowing what files you deleted (or at least the directories they were in) it will be tough to help you.

We need some more info... was the PC working before you deleted the files? Can you recall what files or at least the folders they were in?
  • edited March 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Welcome to Icrontic, Hondo. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your computer. Unfortunately, without knowing what files you deleted (or at least the directories they were in) it will be tough to help you.

We need some more info... was the PC working before you deleted the files? Can you recall what files or at least the folders they were in?
    THE PC WAS WORING OK BUT VERY SLOW, IT DROVE ME NUTS. THE FILES I DELETED SAID THAT THEY WERE NOT USED FOR A LONG TIME SO I DUMPED THEM. BUT I DONT REMEMBER THE NAMES.???:confused:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Well, many of the oldest files on a PC are the operating system files. I'm guessing you deleted files vital to the system. Do you have the Dell Windows XP CD-rom by any chance?
  • edited March 2009
    You might also see if the BIOS is detecting your Hard Drive (F2 on Dell 2400). Hit F2 when it is powereing up (when it has a big, blue DELL on the screen) and it should take you into the BIOS. If your Hard Drive is identified in there, reboot and see what it tells you is missing (ex. ntldr.exe, hal.dll, or something like that). Post that here and we should be able to help you out.