Wiped Out System...

edited March 2009 in Hardware
I'm running on XP and recently had to wipe out my computer because of viruses. When I rebooted it, I didn't get sound back other than a beep when I try to click something that I shouldn't and my screen is now stretched out of proportion horizontally. How do I get these things back?

PS- Sorry for my lack of computer terminology.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    You need to find the correct drivers for your video and sound card. Your video card is likely either ati, nvidia or intel. Your sound card could is probably an AC '97 device, but that's just a guess.
  • edited March 2009
    It worked before I wiped my system, but how can I find out what type it is and what can I do to make it work?

Any advice about the screen stretch horizontally?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    If you have a branded system (HP, Dell, Lenovo etc...) find the make/model go to the manufacturers website and you can find all the drivers there. If this is a generic white box then you need to find the drivers yourself and identify the hardware.

You can try hardware ID software Like this to help find the unknown hardware and drivers for it.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited March 2009
    Chances are you have other drivers missing. Check the following..

1) Right click "My Computer".
    2) Click on "Manage".
    3) Select "Device manager" on the left menu.

Any item with a yellow question mark needs a driver. Once you get to the manufacturer site, that'll tell you what drivers you need.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Without a doubt, your lacking the proper software drivers for the video and sound solutions for your system.

If you have trouble, there are programs that will sniff out drivers on your system. One is called Driver Detective, I don't really recommend it vs. manually finding the drivers online yourself, but if you become really frustrated looking, it can help.