Problem Reinstalling Windows XP

edited March 2009 in Hardware
Hi There,
I have recently backed up all the information I wanted to retain on a computer belonging to a guy at work onto an external hard drive. What I wanted to do was perform a fresh reinstallation of Windows XP, however when I try to reinstall Windows XP, when at the selecting partition to install to screen it does not pick up the hard drive at all. I have checked connections and everything else I can think of to fix this but no luck. The weirder thing is the computer boots up as normal without any problems, however I want to do the reinstallation to start fresh. I have ran a CHKDSK and got the error "The volume contains one or more unrecoverable problems". The drive also when Windows is running the C:\ is recognised as the I:\ for some reason whoever fixed his computer previously had it set up in this way. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    The hard drive may be damaged. Please verify its physical integrity with DFT.

If that fails, try SeaTools for DOS instead.

Download this ISO:
    Seagate's <a href="http://download.seagate.com/seatools/registration.nsf/eula/desktop&quot; target="_blank">SeaTools for DOS</a> CD image

Perform a <a href="http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201271&quot; target="_blank">a long scan</a> with it.

If the drive is in working condition, we can move on to assessing why it can't be read in the Windows installer (probably because it's SATA).
  • CallredCallred Maryville, tn
    edited March 2009
    Do you need to load specific drivers during the install for XP to see the drive? My older board needed me to load a set when you see the "Choose F6 to load drivers" prompt.
  • edited March 2009
    I'll try these suggestions guys and let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help thus far.
  • edited March 2009
    I've ran both DFT and SeaTools and everything came back without any errors. I have checked all the jumper settings on the drive as well and these are fine. When I hit F6 during setup it says setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system. Would you think this would be a motherboard issue?
    edited March 2009
    What motherboard do you have? There's an easy way to fix this problem, but I need to know that first.
  • edited March 2009
    Right guys I've got a hold of a dell version of windows xp and that has picked up the hard drive as it contains the necessary SATA drivers that I was missing to pick up the hard drive. I'm installing windows at present so fingers crossed that'll be the problem resolved.
    edited March 2009
    Your problem will indeed be solved. I was going to show you how to put the SATA drivers you needed on your own Windows CD, but your solution works too.
  • edited March 2009
    Could you show me that as well just for future reference if you don't mind? Thanks for all your help.
    edited March 2009
    Sure, what motherboard do you have? :)
  • edited March 2009
    All I know is it's a Dell motherboard I could not locate a model number for this motherboard. The Dell machine is a dimension 9100 if that is of any further help.
  • edited March 2009
    It's a Dell X8582 motherboard, with X8582 being the part number.
  • edited March 2009
    Ah rite thanks cambrose for that information :)