Gaming via remote control to make gaming PCs pointless?

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    *sneeze*Phantom*sneeze*

Sorry, allergic to BS.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Well, this can go one of two ways. Either we get our net neutrality and unlimited bandwidth back (along with massive bandwidth boosts) to make this viable, or we keep buying and installing our games as always. I personally have doubts that they can deliver me a 1680x1050 image with the effects and image quality to which I've grown accustomed.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited March 2009
    I think the people most likely to buy into this are going to be the ones who would just go and buy a Xbox or a PS3. Maybe down the line we'll see this become real but I'm skeptical of it taking off right now.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited March 2009
    I can't personally see it working!! I mean, the amount of people (if the service is fully up and running) that will be connecting (slow downs in net speed) and also the amount of games that will be running on their servers will be immense!! Also as mentioned the quality will not be too good.

I don't think this will get very far as there are far too many factors that go against it.

I mean common, giants like Microsoft have server crashes the same day as a big game is released and that's only people connecting to the server and the server not actually running 10,000 copies of the game itself.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    AAA titles with the back-end hardware requirements of an MMO, and the bandwidth requirements of streaming HD? Er, right. Death by operating costs.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    I'll be happy when this nonsense dies out and we get back to playing out of our boxes.

This idea, which builds on the philosophy of Sun tycoon Scott McNealy, is doomed to failure. It's just too... stupid. I just don't think the technology is in place in households around America, much less the world, to make it work.

The concept has some nice marketing blurb going on but the reality is this service, if it gets initial hype and success, will soon succumb to a mob of angry subscribers throwing civil suit after civil suit.