Heat sink covers on EP45-UD3R

CallredCallred Maryville, tn
edited March 2009 in Hardware
Guys, my Gigabyte EP45-UD3R has these pretty covers on the capacitors and P45 chipset. To me they look to be ornamental and also look like they'd hold heat in. Considering the video card sits right underneath the chipset, it seems it would add more heat. With the covers on, I feel it would slow heat dissipation.

Looking online I see where some have taken them off, but no real way to do it without damage. Have any of you done this? Or am I being overly cautious?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    They're probably a minor thermal barrier, but I would bet nothing significant.
  • CallredCallred Maryville, tn
    edited March 2009
    Hi Thrax, yeah, I figured Gigabyte probably tested that, but man... looking at the cover it just seems that it's a heat trap... :)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Looking at some photos, I'd think the blue plate that says GIGABYTE over the northbridge would come off with screws. The one that says Ultra Durable looks like it's better attached.

You could remove the whole assembly and opt to replace it with something like the Thermalright coolers.

Northbridge: HR-05/IFX or HR-05 SLI/IFX

Southbridge: HR-05/IFX or HR-05 SLI/IFX

IO side Mosfets: HR-09 U TYPE2

Top side Mosfets: HR-09 S TYPE2
  • CallredCallred Maryville, tn
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, the heat pipes get decent enough reviews, but I'm thinking along those lines myself... Thanks for the links Buddy. BTW, the one with Gigabyte on it actually looks to be held on with epoxy (seeing it here in real time) and if it's pliable that's one thing but if hard setting that would create another issue..