Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and S/Pdif to videocard?

ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
edited April 2009 in Hardware
I just ordered a XFX Geforce GTX 295 video card, which has 2 DVI out's and one HDMI out. It's also got a S/Pdif port to connect the audio from the mobo/soundcard, and to transfer it through the HDMI.

But I am not sure if the supplied S/Pdif cable fits right into my Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer soundcard. Looking at the manual, there is some kind of S/Pdif I/O port, but I have no idea of what this is. Can I just plug the cable there and will it work?

Also, on my old GPU, which had 2 DVI ports, I used a DVI/HDMI cable to get the image to my TV, but had to connect the sound with another cable.
So I'm now also wondering if my old cable will transfer the sound, or if I need to buy a HDMI cable, and scrap my old DVI/HDMI.

Also, this thread seems to indicate that a DVI/HDMI adapter can run the sound. I'd imagine the same would then apply for my DVI/HDMI cable, can someone confirm this? A HDMI cable of proper length costs around 30€ here, so I don't want to buy it just to see that it works with my old cable.

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2009
    It should work with your existing cables.

Use your DVI out to transfer the picture and your audio cables to transfer the audio from your soundcard.

The theory of the SPDIF cable is that it bridges your soundcard to your Craphics card so that you have the option to send the sound via HDMI if you so desire. If you already have a DVI cable and separate audio cable just use them.
  • ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
    edited March 2009
    The problem is that I had to split the output from my soundcard between my subwoofer (a 5.1 system) and the TV. This worked when I had the soundcard under the GPU, but the airflow was very vague then, so I moved it to the only other free place; the lowest expansion slot. But now I can't fit my sound splitter anymore, so I was thinking of transferring the sound with the same cable as the picture.

Bottom line: does it work with my existing cable?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2009
    I dont think DVI will carry audio. DVI = Digital Visual Interface.

When I use my 5.1 system I dont use the TV speakers as I have front speakers on the 5.1.

What gear do you have and what you want it to do and we can tell you how best to set it up.
  • ArakornArakorn Helsinki, Finland New
    edited March 2009
    I have a X540 speaker set for my computer, but the computer monitor and TV screen are situated on diagonally opposite sides of the room, so without buying additional speakers I won't get any better sound.
    Besides, in my living room I've got a better TV with better speakers, this is mainly for watching videos from my harddrive.
    I just want to somehow get the audio to the TV in any form..
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2009
    I think this thread is probably the most useful. http://www.driverheaven.net/audio-general-technical-discussion/154467-videocards-audio-dvi-hdmi.html

It ties up with my understanding of how it works. The forum you refferenced is very confusing as they are modding gear which is not disigned to do what they are asking.

As I previously stated DVI is not officially speced to carry Audio. It seems that nVidia and ATI have rewired their cards to send Audio down un-used pins on the DVI cable. So I think what you have to do is bridge the two cards with the SP/DIF cable inside the PC. This will then send the audio out through the DVI output on the card. At some point in the chain you then use an DVI - HDMI converter and plug it into the HDMI input on your tele. If you plug it into your DVI on your tele you wont get any sound.

So... to conclude you can internally bridge your cards and you should be able to use your DVI cable and put one of these on the end and plug it into your HDMI input on your tele. This assumes that the DVI cable you have has the pins that the DVI audio is being routed through connected. Many cables keep the cost and cable thickness down by not running un-used cores through the cable. You may also need to re-configure your software to sent the audio through the right output.

To be honest, if you already have it set up without HDMI I would stick with your current method.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2009
    I would test your cable to make sure all the pins are connected correctly at both ends