USB device conflicts

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Hardware
I have two USB devices which don't seem to want to play nice.

I've got an unbranded 5.1 channel USB sound adapter which works wonderfully until I plug in my Microsoft Xbox Wireless Accessory Receiver.

As soon as I plug it in (before it's even detected) the sound coming from the sound adapter becomes garbled and staticy to the point of unintelligability.

The receiver does work, but I can't really play my favorite games with no sound. Unplugging the receiver doesn't fix the sound problem. It persists until I reboot.

I want to play my new RPG with my XBox controller.

Any Ideas?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I'll assume you've tried all the various ports?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Yes. My first thought was that perhaps something was wrong with my front USB ports, but moving the devices around to different ports results in the same ... err... results...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    too much power from the front USB header... Most USB headers power 2 ports. Have you tried one in the back one in the front?
    edited April 2009
    yes. I tried all permutations of different USB headers.
    edited April 2009
    No other ideas?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    After the devices are running is there possibly an IRQ conflict? I know windows is supposed to handle these things or give you a message if there is a problem but it isn't always perfect. Plug in both devices and check the IRQ assignments. Possibly reassigning one of them might fix the problem.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    How about trying them both on another system and see if it causes the same problems.
    edited April 2009
    Niether of the devices seem to be on the IRQ list at all, so I'm not sure what to do with that.
    QCH2002 wrote:
    How about trying them both on another system and see if it causes the same problems.

I'll try this.