Problem With My Monitor

Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Hardware
I don't really know what catagory this fits in, but I think this is right.

Today I downloaded the ConTest program from the IC front page and it showed none of the computers on my network being infected. After that (Or before that, I can't remember), I did a Windows Update. Now, my screen randomly flickers black for a fraction of a second, and when it comes back, something on the screen is distorted or otherise sickly-looking. This blink is ALWAYS accompined by a massive jump in my CPU, then it goes back to normal. After one restart, the idle status icon on my pointer became a series of blocks and bars, but after another reboot, it was fine.

Also, when the computer rebooted after I rebooted it the first time, it asked me what mode I wanted to start it in (Safe mode, etc.). This is the first time it has ever done this.

//EDIT: I just had the computer give me the BSOD, saying something about a hardware malfunction and a parity error. Now, everything just showed up in either a really low resolution, or its just black and white lines. Sometimes, it POSTs, but once it gets past to XP loading screen, it stays black and never moves to the blue logon screen. The computer is completely unusable in this state, I flashed BIOS, updated my graphics drivers, physically cleaned the inside of the computer, and kicked things in frustration. I really don't like to admit that there is a computer problem I have that I can't find any logical reason why its happening or why its doing it, but I'm really at a loss. Do you think you guys can help me? I can put up a HJT log if you can tell me how to get my computer to a state which I can access HJT.

Thanks in advance of your help,
Gate

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Video card heatsink? Is it attached correctly? I dunno about this one.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I had a friend help me fix it. Video card had a blown capacitor(?), popped in an old one, but its an X350, so im going to need a new one soon.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    That'll do it. Glad you got it fixed.
    edited April 2009
    Well, when I was trying to diagnose the problem myself, I disabled my second HDD from the BIOS, and once I got it fixed, I renabled it in the BIOS and device manager and it loaded up and worked fine for about 10 minutes until it BOSD'd. It kept BSODing for me right after POST until for some reason it stoped doing it, and now I cant make my computer see my sceond HDD at all >.<
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2009
    Maybe your second HD was failing which was causing the BSOD and it has now finally died.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Since you just had 2 separate pieces of hardware die at pretty much the same time I would strongly recommend that you test your PSU. If the PSU is going it could have killed otherwise good hardware and will cause even bigger problems in the very near future.
    edited April 2009
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    Since you just had 2 separate pieces of hardware die at pretty much the same time I would strongly recommend that you test your PSU. If the PSU is going it could have killed otherwise good hardware and will cause even bigger problems in the very near future.

How does one check a PSU?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2009
    Gate28 wrote:

The only way to do it is with a digital volt meter. While your PC is plugged it you can test each of the rails in turn to ensure you are getting the correct voltage.
    edited April 2009
    RichD wrote:
    The only way to do it is with a digital volt meter. While your PC is plugged it you can test each of the rails in turn to ensure you are getting the correct voltage.

Then I'll need to get one of those.

I don't have the box or any paperwork for it as my dad took it to the store to have it installed.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Gate28 wrote:

Disconnect all power leads from the comp then plug in at least 2 fans for a load, jump the green with on the ATX connector and test with a multimeter on the ATX plu for the 3.3v, 5v and 12v readings. If possible test both voltage and amperage. When you test use the appropriate color wire and a black for the ground. The code is as follows;

Orange = +3.3v dc
    Red = +5v dc
    Yellow = +12v dc
    White = -5v dc
    Blue = -12v dc
    Black = ground
    Brown (if available) is =3.3v dc