How do I format my hard drive?

edited April 2009 in Hardware
i had buy original windows. then, i want to format my laptop,but the original windows only recovering my documents and do not completely formatting my laptop. The viruses still infecting my laptop. what should i do?

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2009
    Quick check, you have an actuals windows cd and not a restore cd? Correct. If you have a windows cd, read on.

Pop the windows dvd/cd in your dvddrive, and power down. Power back on, before the windows logo, when it says hit a key to boot from cd, hit a key. Once your are in the install menu select new install. When you are selecting the drive to install it on it'll give you the option to, leave files intact, quick format, or long format. (my wording isn't perfect but you should be able to follow along) You could do the quick erase and be done in a few minutes or do the full format which could take up to an hour depending on your systems specs. Then you repartition the drive and install windows.

Forgive me if I'm missing out on a few steps but you'll get it. Welcome to your first format, there will be plenty more in your future :)

Here's a link outlining it too. Better wording than my quick reply.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4441105_format-laptop-hard-drive.html
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Rather than link offsite, we'd recommend our own excellent guide to reformatting windows XP. Give it a shot :)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited April 2009
    Man I always get busted for that lol... I'm just so used to googleing and throwing up a link that I don't even think of searching to see what has been written up already on icrontic. I blame fire fox and google.
    Rather than link offsite, we'd recommend our own excellent guide to reformatting windows XP. Give it a shot :)