Built a MacBook Mini out of a Dell Inspiron 9

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited April 2009 in Science & Tech
So Dell had these 9" lappys on sale for 200$ a month or so ago. I grabbed 2 (1 for me, 1 for a friend).

It took some hacking, but I managed to get the thing to dual boot OS X and WinXP.

I have to say, OS X is great on these netbooks. There's a very active hacker community out there that have written mac "drivers" for all the hardware. And OS X runs like a DREAM.

If anyone is in the market for a netbook, you should DEFINATELY grab the inspiron 9. And anyone in the market for a cheap Mac... well good luck finding anything close to this for the price.

I ended up paying an extra 100$ for a 32 GB SDD and 20$ for a 2GB RAM stick.

So for 320$ I could not be more impressed with this beast.

Anyone else here on Icrontic have a Mac netbook? If so, any suggestion on good GPS software for OS X?

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    mertesn has a MSI Wind running OS X. I'll direct him this way.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    mertesn has a MSI Wind running OS X. I'll direct him this way.

Done this also with help from the jared^

It was insanely friggin easy to put OS X on a MSI Wind.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    fatcat wrote:
    Done this also with help from the jared^

It was insanely friggin easy to put OS X on a MSI Wind.
    This is the guide I used:
    http://forums.msiwind.net/osx-guides/retail-dvd-install-updated-driver-pack-t8901.html
    It was extremely easy to get OS X and Windows 7 dual booting on a Wind. I actually never thought I could be happy with a netbook, but when it came time to start looking at iPhone development it was either buy a (minimum) $600 Mac Mini or try a $300 Wind. Budget was the deciding factor, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.
    FormFactor wrote:
    any suggestion on good GPS software for OS X?
    My first question on this is do you already have an NMEA compliant receiver, or are you looking for a complete package? If you are not adverse to dual booting, MS Streets and Trips 2009 comes with a receiver and can be found for $50. I haven't found a good OS X version yet.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2009
    Yep, MSI wind is a worthy competitor by all means. He has 512 onboard RAM, and you can add a 2gb ram stick making a max total of 2.5 gb? I could be wrong there.

dell minio 9 has no onboard, and is maxed at 2gb ram.

The UI on the mac install drivers looks much cleaner for msi wind than the dellEFI does atm.

But yea i dual boot winxp on this mini for gaming and gps. Everything else i do in os x. I really wish there was a mac quakelive client, and streets and trips equivalent.

I use the gps reciever that came with streets and trips.

I would also like to hack some LEDs under the keyboard, as the keys are just so hard to find in the dark.

also i would like to find a way to boot my xp partition as a vm within osx, bootcamp wont work for obvious reasons. Tried vmware and parallels to no avail, so if anyone has ideas there im all ears.
    edited April 2009
    FormFactor wrote:
    Yep, MSI wind is a worthy competitor by all means. He has 512 onboard RAM, and you can add a 2gb ram stick making a max total of 2.5 gb? I could be wrong there.
    It actually has 1GB soldered on. You can add a 1GB stick for a total of 2GB.

I have also added a 9-cell battery to mine. The paperwork that came with the battery says up to four full charge cycles are required to attain full capacity...the first charge lasted just over 6 hours, and the current charge is at 2.25 hours with another 4.5 hours left according to Windows.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2009
    nice, im getting about 3 hours of real use out of my battery right now. how much do those 9 cells run? i may look into that.

Which OS do you prefer to run on that Wind? Im finding mac is just easier altogether combined with spaces on this little fella. I REALLY wish i could boot my winxp partition in a vm tho.
    edited April 2009
    FormFactor wrote:
    nice, im getting about 3 hours of real use out of my battery right now. how much do those 9 cells run? i may look into that.

Which OS do you prefer to run on that Wind? Im finding mac is just easier altogether combined with spaces on this little fella. I REALLY wish i could boot my winxp partition in a vm tho.
    I purchased the battery from Ebay for about $70.

As for OS of choice, it's a little difficult to say right now. I am learning how OS X works while Windows 7 presents a much more familiar system. Once school is over (in a month :() I'll have time to sit down and really get into learning OS X.

BTW, has anyone figured out how to remap the Wind's keys in OS X?