Managing partitions without third-party software

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Hardware
I'm trying to do this without having to install something new.

I just deleted two old partitions, and I want to make one new partition from the both of them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26928&stc=1&d=1239393855

When I select 'make new partition' it tells me that the max size is 48GB or 105GB depending on which one I click.

How do I get Disk Manager to make one partition from the remaining unallocated space?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    You can't. Use Gparted.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Blast!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    CB wrote:
    Blast!

Why blast? Robert meant you can do what you want, you just need a different free tool like Gparted.

I like the disk partition tool from Easeus myself. Its free, easy to use, and you should be able to re assign all that unallocated space with it.
    edited April 2009
    Blast because, for once, I want to be able to do something, anything with the tools included with windows. It's like: everytime I want to do anything, I have to download another program for it, even basic disk management...

Apparently, it's too much to ask that any of the applications and tools that ship with windows be in any way useful...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    CB wrote:
    Blast because, for once, I want to be able to do something, anything with the tools included with windows. It's like: everytime I want to do anything, I have to download another program for it, even basic disk management...

Apparently, it's too much to ask that any of the applications and tools that ship with windows be in any way useful...

I understand. Look at it this way, if MS had a tool for everything built into windows, they would be an even more dominant software monopoly than they already are. Bad for the little guys trying to make their way in software development. Microsoft can't have it all.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    To be fair, there are only 2 or 3 tools in the entire software industry that will reliably perform what you're looking to do, CB.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    You should be able to delete two partitions in disk manager and them make 1 big partition. The issue in this case is where your partitions are.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    You should be able to delete two partitions in disk manager and them make 1 big partition. The issue in this case is where your partitions are.

Exactly.

Also, FYI: Disk Management in Vista and Windows 7 are greatly improved over previous MS releases and allow resizing, splitting, or merging of even the system partition on the fly, but pulling partition 0 and any other partition from the end of the disk together is tricky business.
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, for some reason, I wasn't thinking about partitions' need to be contiguous. I just wanted all that space to have one drive-letter. In the end (after playing with GParted a bit, and finding that it didn't recognize my mouse properly), I decided to just make a new partition at the beginning of the drive, copy all the stuff from the second partition into the first, delete the second partition, and make a new second partition that occupied the position of the old second and third partitions. I was able to do all that with nothing more than Disk Manager.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    If you wanted just one drive letter you could have used Disk Manager and made two partitions but spanned them together.
  • SoundySoundy Pitt Meadows, BC
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    If you wanted just one drive letter you could have used Disk Manager and made two partitions but spanned them together.

Or make two partitions, and assign both to folders on your C: drive, instead of assigning new drive letters.
    edited April 2009
    True. Those were also possible solutions.