Radeon HD 4550 Dual Display Problem

edited May 2009 in Hardware
Hi,

I recently installed an ATI Radeon HD 4550 card, which has DVI, VGA & S-video outputs on it, and I am having a couple of issues.

I have a normal monitor with a standard VGA connection connected to the VGA port on the card & a normal (non digital/non HD) TV connected to the S-video port with an S-video to scart lead.

The two problems I have are:

1: Although the TV is shown in the catalyst display manager - I am unable to enable it. However, if I boot with the VGA to the monitor unplugged - then the display comes up on the TV. Does this mean that the VGA and S-video are using the same signal on the card and, thus, I can't have both connected at the same time? Which would then mean I need to use a SVI to VGA adapter for the monitor OR simply unplug the VGA whenever I want to watch movies on the TV?

2: The display on the TV is in black & white which, from the limited amount of information I could find (and understand with my limited knowledge) is an issue with the S-video to scart lead and nothing to do with the card?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated so I can take back the cables, and so on, if they are going to be of no use to me.

Thank you

SV :)

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I have not done much with s-video output but I just did something like that this past weekend. I outputted my display via the s-video to a HD Projector and was able to have both my monitor and projector running. Now I'm running Windows 7. I have tried it in quite a while on WinXP.

As for the black and white... yes the s-video cable is normally the culprit.
  • edited April 2009
    Thanks Q, anyone else with more to add? :(

Strikes me as odd to have 3 outputs on a card, but leave you only able to use 2 in unision...
  • edited May 2009
    I fixed the problem now, it was as I suspected - I had to use a DVI to VGA adapter for monitor and now the TV out works fine. If a mod wants to delete this thread, feel free. :)