What is a good lcd now (dare i say best)?

edited June 2003 in Hardware
Ok, im looking to get rid of this vacuum tube monitor i have that is about 14 feet by 15 feet...

First thing is first... let me get this out into the open... i WILL be gaming on this monitor... so if lcd's still suck for gaming please tell me (i'm not that picky)

Size - well, 17"-18" i would prefer...
How much I am willing to spend... depending on how good the monitor is (which means, i would spend the extra $100 for a much better monitor)

So i see all these things like contrast ratio; brightness; response time... and i have no idea whats good...

i saw some samsung monitors and they looked hot.. but i still want good picture... so i am clueless

so if any of you could suggest a specific model (which i would prefer) or what to look out for, i would greatly appreciate it...

THANKS

And it needs to have a DVI link... cuz the video's and gaming that will occur

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    LCDs still suck for gaming.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    Torque said
    First thing is first... let me get this out into the open... i WILL be gaming on this monitor... so if lcd's still suck for gaming please tell me (i'm not that picky)
    And it needs to have a DVI link... cuz the video's and gaming that will occur

You mean something that requires more than 10fps? :D Don't use an LCD for the upcoming DOOM 3, unless you have a GeForce256 @ 4.6 fps . . . that probably wouldn't cause DOOM 3 to ghost.

Videos? Full motion? Full screen?
    You might want to hold off.
    <a href="http://www.Anandtech.com/">AnandTech.Com</a&gt; has a review of the new Samsung 19" LCD, but it has problems w/ full screen video at times.

Thrax said
    LCDs still suck for gaming.

They're OK for text-based games. :)
    edited June 2003
    I'll let you know next time 98% of the population plays one of those :p
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited June 2003
    I don't know what page it is, but the Funny Pic thread has a picture of hell freezing over, so, umm, 98% COULD happen. :D
    Thrax said
    I'll let you know next time 98% of the population plays one of those :p
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have a Samsung 172t. I notice very little ghosting, and i'm into FPS gaming. I can make it ghost if I try (faster movement than I ever see/do in an actual game), but i never see it under normal gaming. I play UT, SOF2, RtCW:ET, and i dont see any ghosting in them :)

EDIT:

and it has DVI
  • SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
    edited June 2003
    if you can get an LCD with a really low response time (<17ms, there are a few 15ms ones that i've seen), you're golden, otherwise, refer to thrax's reponse
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    My main rig uses a CTX 722i, and it's good value for money and I have no problems with games. I think it's response time is about 15ms. However, there is one game which a little ghosting does appear, and that's UT2003, but only slightly. Otherwise the monitor is great.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You guys are so full of crap with the ghosting thing!

I have a Dell 1900FP using DVI, and the picture is absolutely perfect. I play UT and JKII at full res (1280x1024x32 on this monitor) on a Radeon 9000 Pro and the picture is just rock solid, lightning fast, and picture perfect.

The Dell 1900FP is a rebranded Samsung Syncmaster. It is an absolutely beautiful display and I highly recommend it. I just saw them at Office Depot for $689 yesterday.

So, what you might say, is "CHEAP" LCDs still suck for gaming, but to say all LCDs still suck for gaming is just a little bit of a generalist opinion. A HIGH END LCD does not suck at all for gaming.
    edited June 2003
    That's a fair point, and I do agree with you prime, but because of the way flat panel LCD's/TFT's fundementally work it's perfectly reasonable to advise someone to think twice about buying one if gaming is going to be its primary use. I mean even the best LCD's can't come close to a CRT's repsonse time.

My point is, I am sure there is a flat panel out there to suit most gamers needs, but much more thought needs to go into the purchase and buying one for the purpose of gaming automatically resigns a person to only looking at the top of the range models. Which in turn might prove off putting because of the added costs.
    edited June 2003
    Plus, pixel-death is so ****ing annoying.
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Here is a nice alternative to an LCD monitor

Sony's 32" WEGA TV

It has a DVI connection too. So this would be like getting a new TV and a really big computer monitor at the same time.
    edited June 2003
    Thrax said
    Plus, pixel-death is so ****ing annoying.

Yea very true, but again, it just forces you to shop around more. A lof of manufactures now will guarantee no dead pixels, with certain models. So again, it just means you have to shop around with that in mind.
  • edited June 2003
    just read a review of 17" lcds at tomshardware ... and they say the hyundai q17 has picture quality close if not equal to a crt ... and has no ghosting for games unless you look with a microscope :) ... for 380 bucks... and the best quality with 20ms response time ( dont be confused... cuz the 16 ms response ones dont work in 16 million colors but only 250,000 -- so 20ms just might be better for color quality and a good response time)

looks like im gonna go with this one... better then the most expensive... and as they say "Two monitors using the same panel will have a similar, if not identical, display. So, in spite of some substantial price differences (double in some cases), you will often find the same quality whatever the brand."

thanks for the help guys
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    380 bux....hmmm it does seem kinda on the cheap side for lcd screens...would u mind hooking me up with the article so i can see the other ones that were reviewed
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    I have a 17" TFT monitor, its by a company called Sampo. Not sure what model it is but the picture quality is amazing. Its highly responsive and the clarity is excellent. Much better than any other monitor I have used (like at stores, computer fairs etc.).

The one bad thing though is that a pixel died a few weeks ago :(. Its not in the middle of my screen or anything, and I have had the monitor a while. I do have a three year on-site warranty so I will use this to rectify it :D.

Thats my opinion.
  • edited June 2003
    i thought.. yeah cheap monitor too.. but then the specs are great and the review was awesome... so here is the link to the review....
    http://www17.tomshardware.com/display/20030626/index.html

read it all.. it goes pretty in depth with that whole 16ms and 20 ms stuff you know :)

and most warranties dont cover one dead pixel.. probably like three... samsung's is like 7 ... so read your warrenty first!

EDIT:
    dont skip this paragraph
    Remember that the panel is the main part of a monitor. It is made up of liquid crystal cells overlaid with red, green and blue filters, neon tubes and reflectors (see this chart). Two monitors using the same panel will have a similar, if not identical, display. So, in spite of some substantial price differences (double in some cases), you will often find the same quality whatever the brand. The differences are mainly due to design factors, which make the monitor more or less attractive, and to more or less acceptable default settings.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said
    You guys are so full of crap with the ghosting thing!

I have a Dell 1900FP using DVI, and the picture is absolutely perfect. I play UT and JKII at full res (1280x1024x32 on this monitor) on a Radeon 9000 Pro and the picture is just rock solid, lightning fast, and picture perfect.

The Dell 1900FP is a rebranded Samsung Syncmaster. It is an absolutely beautiful display and I highly recommend it. I just saw them at Office Depot for $689 yesterday.

So, what you might say, is "CHEAP" LCDs still suck for gaming, but to say all LCDs still suck for gaming is just a little bit of a generalist opinion. A HIGH END LCD does not suck at all for gaming.

I agree ...I have this same monitor is it is rock-solid no dead pixels ...I don't know anyone at all who has this monitor with a single dead pixel also.

I think the samsung eqivalent is the syncmaster 191t ...newegg has this monitor in black on sale for $629 I just checked ...and a black 172t for $479 although I haven't used one.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    what do u fellas think of the hyundai? do you think itll beat your dell lcd?
  • edited June 2003
    well if you want gaming... the hyundai beats the 172T in the specs and in the reviews...

it seems the hyundai is the best 17" out right now for gaming... and since hyundai makes the panel... your not paying for the name like sony or whatever...

dont be fooled by the price... u'll see
    edited June 2003
    Torque said
    well if you want gaming... the hyundai beats the 172T in the specs and in the reviews...

it seems the hyundai is the best 17" out right now for gaming... and since hyundai makes the panel... your not paying for the name like sony or whatever...

dont be fooled by the price... u'll see
    in what way does the hyundai beat the 172t in specs?
    what does it mean when they say digital DVI (option)?
    why does it say 1280x1024 75hxz capable but 60mhz usable recommended?
    I'd like to check out a review and I'd also like a price on the digital option because my graphics card doesn't support an analog option.

csimon
  • edited June 2003
    csimon said

in what way does the hyundai beat the 172t in specs?
    what does it mean when they say digital DVI (option)?
    why does it say 1280x1024 75hxz capable but 60mhz usable recommended?
    I'd like to check out a review and I'd also like a price on the digital option because my graphics card doesn't support an analog option.

csimon

the 172t has 25 ms response time .. hyundai has 20 ms
    172t has the same luminosity... but slightly better contrast...
    both show 16.7 million colors... but the big thing is the 5 ms diff..

dvi connection is superior to analog... so your fine in that aspect

they say recommended freq of 60... but it could go up to 75... so just choose what comfortable for your eyes...

go to http://www17.tomshardware.com/display/20030626/index.html for a review of hyundai...

and http://anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1785 for the 172t ...

just dont get fooled by the difference in prices ...
    Two monitors using the same panel will have a similar, if not identical, display. So, in spite of some substantial price differences (double in some cases), you will often find the same quality whatever the brand.

hope this helped

:p
    edited June 2003
    that helps thanks ...I run mine 75hz constantly.
    I found this when doing a search ...
    I have 20 Dell 1702FP's (analog) in my lab btw and they don't hold a candle to the samsung.

edit/ the tom's article is fantastic ...save $100 and go with it since it's for gaming! :fold:

heck now you got me thinking of getting one myself :hiding:
  • edited June 2003
    bad news though... i cant find anyone in America (or anywhere for that matter) that fricken sells the Hyundai Q17 ... arg

im kinda sad now :(
  • edited June 2003
    Thats the Q17 B-S ... no dvi, but thanks anyway