Multiboxing WoW on 1 PC.

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Gaming
I've heard about multiboxing WoW, and I've seen youtube videos of it and how it's done, and I finally got around to giving it a try.

I had already made a second account so I could talk to horde on my server, so I had that. Between my 2 accounts I made a pair of Gnome Mages for testing. Ablock and Bblock.

I looked at several programs to do the multiboxing, and ended up using one called HotKeyNet. It actually was pretty simple to set up, once I fully read the directions and did some Q&A on their forums.

So to set it up on my PC, I simply copied my whole 17.3 GB WoW folder. Then installed HotKeyNet, and copied a page of code from their site into a Notepad document and put it in the HotKeyNet folder.

I only had to make one macro, which was 3 lines. It goes on the second character. Their names are Ablock and Bblock. Bblock's macro says "/target Ablock ; /follow ; /assist".

And that's pretty much it. I'll run both mages to within range of a mob, hit F (hotkey for the macro), and start firing at the mob. In total noob gear, both Mages at level 5 were taking out level 6-8 bears and wolves coming at me 2 and 3 at a time with no problem.;D

My computer specs are: XP Home SP2, E7300 dual core, 4 GB ram (shows 3.25 GB available), 4870 graphics, 700 watt OCZ power supply.

With both characters up (WoW in windowed mode), Task Manager shows both CPU cores to be running around 80%-85%, RAM is only about 50% used.

I was wondering if I could maybe squeeze a third character into this multiboxing setup, but the CPU would be maxed out on at least one core. I don't know how it would split up the work of a 3rd WoW instance. RAM-wise, I've got enough to handle it. I have a 3rd account that had been made for some time, but I'd have to pay to get it going again, it's been inactive for about 6 months.

With a quad core CPU, I think I could put 4 characters on this computer, but that costs money, which as usual, is in short supply. Should have bought a 4 core the first time! :rolleyes:

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Any ideas? Anyone else ever tried multiboxing?
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    No one has ever tried multiboxing?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I haven't multi boxed since the original Everquest. It can be done with WoW, or at least could at one point, but I don't remember how.

You can try running one in a virtual machine though.
  • edited April 2009
    I just run wow on each monitor, set keybinds for all actions, use hcn and go at it. There are a lot of guides available everywhere for this.