edited April 2009
    I love it.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    That poor bird...

Also, awesome writeup. Keep 'em coming.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    That bird had it coming! Shouldn't have walked into my shot..
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited April 2009
    Nice work Lynx, I think you nailed it. Are you going to explain normal maps?
    edited April 2009
    I thought about diving into normal maps. When it came down to it, normal and bump maps were too similar to necessitate an added explanation. Sure computationally there is a lot more going on with a normal map, but to a regular gamer they're not going to notice much of a difference between the two. So I omitted it in favor of simplifying the article and keeping it a bit shorter.

But I do find normal maps fascinating... The methods of baking and perturbing normals, it's a pretty sweet technique. I wouldn't mind digging more into it.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited April 2009
    Great article! I learned a lot and like everyone else I had a good laugh at the bird sequence. Nice shot btw! You didn't even aim!
  • edited April 2009
    Thanks for taking the time to make this. I guess "parallax mapping" is pretty self-explanatory, so I found myself not overwhelmed today.

It's a good reminder that I paid attention in class!
    edited April 2009
    DrLiam - I may not always have outstanding aim, but when it comes to shooting NPC fowl, I nail it.

Wahay, WELCOME to Icrontic my man! I also feel I should take this time to remind you that I hate you for having access to a 3D art class at IWU D:
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, you're right, normal maps are very similar to bump maps as far as a gamer is concerned, but I do think it's something gamers will hear about a lot. Plus, it's such an interesting format since it isn't a simple gradient distance map.