Testing your system? what do you use?

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Hardware
Well I built my system a few months back and now I am at a point where i feel the performance is just not right. in certain games I get piss poor performance while in others it is stellar. this might just be drivers but I now what to dig in and see what the issue is.

What programs do you use to rate your system performance? outside of Memtest I am looking to see if I can pin point a problem within the system. I am usually pretty good at finding the issues but this time I am coming up short and am flat out failing at fixing my issues.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Format -> memtest -> DFT -> swap video -> swap PSU -> swap CPU -> swap motherboard.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    CPU-z, Everest, CoreTemp, Memtest.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Format -> memtest -> DFT -> swap video -> swap PSU -> swap CPU -> swap motherboard.

Detroit Film Theatre
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Drive Fitness Test :p
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    CPU-z, Everest, CoreTemp, Memtest.

GPU-Z, Prime-95 still works.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Formatted and installed Vista and now the system runs as smooth as butter... That right there makes me wonder :(

I'll get W7 once it retail.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    vista runs like poop for me but win 7 is awesome i guess its different for everyone
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited April 2009
    I find that the most reliable and simple to use tool for testing stability is...

OCCT.

There is an excellent article on Icrontic written by our very own lemonlime which details hardware stability testing of overclocked systems.

The article is focused on Athlon64 processors, as it is old, but all the applications used for testing are still in use today. Of course, the versions have changed and you should use Google to find the latest of each.

Here is the link to the article: Enjoy -=D

(http://icrontic.com/articles/a64_overclocking_tools)