Need a component -> DVI (or even HDMI) Adaptor

FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
edited May 2009 in Hardware
I know that converting analog signals to digital often yields less than desireable results, but here goes...

So I got this sweet 24" 1080P monitor from Dell.

Has 1 VGA, 1 DVI-D, and 1 HDMI input.

I want to hook an Xbox 360 with ONLY component output to either the DVI or HDMI inputs.

I have a component to DVI converter I recieved with an ATI video card back in the day, but the stupid DVI spec on the connector is different than the DVI-D connector of the monitor. The ATI connector has a couple extra prongs around the horizontal prong than that of the Dell Monitor.

Can anyone recommend a Component to DVI-D adaptor?

Im looking for something relatively cheap. Newegg had some converter units that were around 70$, thers got to be something cheaper out there that doesnt have to actually convert the signal.

I dont want to use the VGA port on the monitor as that's already in use by my MacBook Mini.

Thanks in advance fellaz!

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2009
    Well, close but not quite. Maybe I'm uysing the term "component" incorrectly. I mean the analog plug that comes off the 360. Seperates video into 3 channels Red Green and Blue, I would like something that takes those 3 plugs and make them a dvi-d or even hdmi. So possibly the DVI-D to HDMI adaptor MIGHT work along with my component to DVI (without the -d).

That MIGHT work, but I wiould prefer a 1 adaptor solution.
    edited April 2009
    Now that I put more thought into this, the adaptor I have from ATI is backwards. Its a DVI-> Component adaptor. I was trying to use it backwards by trying to ruin component through it to dvi. Anyone know if THAT even works?

What a pain in the neck all these different video standards are.

*slams face against desk* <-- tension breaker ;)
    edited April 2009
    Ok, well I think I may have found a solution in the Xbox360 VGA adaptor. Ill buy 1 of those and a VGA to DVI adaptor. With any luck this should work for me. Still open to suggestion however.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    The 360 has an HDMI port on it, why don't you get an HDMI male cable and plug it into whatever?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Old 360s don't have HDMI. Mine doesn't.
    edited April 2009
    Yep as prime stated, this particular xbox360 does not have HDMI. if my vga to dvi thing doesn't work (and I have a feeling it wont) I might actually go buy a new one.

I dont think you can just go from vga to dvi the same as going dvi to vga. From the research I have done it appears it may need some sort of active conversion to go from analog to digital.

But I am still open to suggestion :)

The fact that their are 7! not 1 or 2 or 3 but SEVEN different DVI standards, I mean WTF srsly. Its frustrating.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    Don't you have the RCA out cables that came with your 360? It should be easier to find RCA to > whatever you want converters.
    edited April 2009
    Well, you mean the 3 plug (red, white, yellow) non-hd? I would really prefer to use the HD capability of the 360.

I was able to find a few component to dvi adaptors, but their all the DVI-I or whatever has the 4 prongs near the horizontal prong. The monitor only takes DVI-D without the 4 prongs.

If I could find 1 without the 4 prongs, id be all over it.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Why not just use the VGA input on the monitor? Use the 360's VGA cable and plug straight into the monitor's VGA in. Does your computer not have a DVI out on the video card?

If you did it this way, even if your computer can't use DVI, you can pick up a cheap $30 KVM switch and only hook up the VGAs and just switch between them that way if you didn't want to pop cables out and in.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    component -> VGA is much easier than component -> hdmi/dvi

I believe to do the latter you will need a dedicated piece of hardware to handle the conversion.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    Link to DVI-Connector types http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg just so you are sure you are getting the right ones.
    edited April 2009
    Ok 5 different DVI standards, not 7. 5 is still WAY too many IMO :). But yea I'm leaning towards Snarkasm's suggestion of just using VGA, possibly with a KVM. Chances are I'll end up having to swap out the sound cables between laptop, and xbox360 anyways.

I had really hoped their was a cheap adaptor that would go from vga or component right to dvi. I guess it must take some kind of active conversion/hardware or software.

I honestly dont think having to swap the VGA cables between devices is really that big of a deal when having to buy an expensive piece of hardware is the only alternative.

Thanks for all of the suggestions fellaz. Much apreciated.
  • SoundySoundy Pitt Meadows, BC
    edited April 2009
    Think about it: DVI-D and HDMI are *digital* interfaces... component and VGA are *analog* signals. There's no way to go direct without a converter of some sort.

Most video cards with DVI outs actually have two standards: DVI-D and DVI-A (A for Analog) that essentially puts a VGA signal on an extra set of pins in the DVI connector - that's what that little adapter is for. I don't expect you'll find a monitor whose DVI input supports DVI-A though.

As for KVMs, the most basic ones switch VGA video as well as PS/2 keyboard and mouse, but there are also USB versions, and models with audio support... you'd probably need a couple RCA-to-1/4" TRS cables to use that, but it should do the trick for you.

You could also look at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/RCA-COMPONENT-VIDEO-SWITCHER-RCAHD4DCA/dp/B000FCT2CK

It has four component/s-video/composite/audio inputs and one set of outputs, and can "learn" remote commands for other devices' remotes. I have one that I use to switch my PS3 and Wii component cables, as well as the audio from my home-brew PVR and HD cable box (those two have their own connections into the plasma - Harmony remote FTW!) Combine that with your audio cables, and the proper compliment of component-to-VGA and VGA-to-component cables, and you're set.

(Funny thing, this is the first time I've seen the "retail" price for that unit... $120, yoikes! I got mine for $30 at a surplus store!)
    edited May 2009
    Yea, I had hoped that since its so easy to go from VGA-HDMI so easily, than vice versa would be just as easy. Not so much.

That conversion unit would be worth 30$ easily, but for 120$ its just not worth it to me.

I chose a similar option when I ran out of HDMI ports on my plasma (I wonder if my harmony would work with my HDMI switchbox).

I may try to find a more affordable converter yet though. Just out of curiosity, does your RCA-Component switch box thing add any noticeable lag to the video on screen?
    edited May 2009
    I haven't noticed any issues, but the only video that's running through it are the PS3 (which I haven't had a chance to test yet) and the Wii (which works great). The HD cable box goes direct to the plasma's DVI input, and the HTPC goes to its VGA input - the switch box only handles their audio (since the cheapie home-theater package system only has a single AUX input).
  • RMFRMF
    edited May 2009
    Why not just buy the Xbox 360 VGA cable and connect it up that way without the need for any converter?

And make sure that you get the official cable. In my experience the 3rd party VGA cables are not as good. I've got on here and it's total rubbish, but my mates official VGA cable is far better on my TV.
    edited May 2009
    RMF wrote:
    Why not just buy the Xbox 360 VGA cable and connect it up that way without the need for any converter?
    FormFactor wrote:
    I dont want to use the VGA port on the monitor as that's already in use by my MacBook Mini.

:D
    edited May 2009
    Yea, I went with VGA, Ill just swap them as needed. Thanks again for schooling me!
    edited May 2009