POWER SUPPLY? OR FRIED?

edited April 2009 in Hardware
hey guys, need a bit of help as no one at uni has 2 brain cells to rub together.....

right old computer...... i replaced the motherboard and all other components about 5 months ago and everythin was fine fitted it and everythin was fine. only thing i didnt change was power supply.

my fella goes on the computer and then shuts it down, he says, properly. i go to the computer an hour later and it wont so much as turn on!!! ive been i9nside and everythin is in the right place, ive replaced the power supply with my dads old one and still not so much as a whrrrr when i try to turn it on.... i dunno whether its the actual button on the front or what! any ideas??? just bought a ammeter so i can check if any power is going thru will have to update on that tomorrow when ive done a reading.

would love to hear opinions its sending me bloody crazy i am never ever gonna pay someone to sort it!!!:eek3:

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2009
    My first thought was power supply but you say you have tried a spare PSU? If it doesn't even light up and it is not the PSU I would guess it is the motherboard. Most boards have an LED that lights up as soon as you connect the PSU to the MB see if you have one and if it is lit. Test the PSU with the voltmeter as you have sugested too. It may well be the switch on the case. Try shorting the pins that the power swithch conect to with a screw driver to rule that out.

It may well be that your PSU is not up to the job of your new components. Can you list your new system spec and PSU. That way we can see if you have enough juice to run things.

Welcome to Icrontic. This place has saved me many a time!!!
  • edited April 2009
    got the voltmeter out... i only get a reading out of the little connection, you know tehres like a 20 priong and a 4 prong, well the 20 isnt giving any readings.... do u think that would make it the psu.... just seen the button comment i might have to try that later

thanks alot! ;D
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    A quick indicator of whether the MoBo is getting power is the NIC. If you have power to the PSU and a network cable attached to an active port on the switch, you should get a status light (NIC powers up independently to allow for Wake On LAN).

If you're not getting that, it's probable that you either have a bad MoBo, or something incorrectly connected.

Can you give us the specs of the system? What type of Motherboard, processor, RAM, hard drive, and what's the rating on the PSU?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Freddly: Here's how to test the PSU. Take a paper clip and bend it into a "u" shape. Stick one end in the single green wire in the PSU's 20-pin connector, and stick the other end in any of the black pins. This will turn the PSU on.

Next take your voltmeter and grab one of the 4-pin molex connectors (hard drive connector). Stick the black lead in the black wire, and the red lead into the red, then the yellow. You should get 4.8-5.2 and 11.8-12.2v, thereabouts.