Hard Drive Space dissapearing (3gig to 0 in 2 hours)

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this problem? This particular user only uses like 2 programs total. I cleaned over 3 gigs of room for her this morning, from temp files, etc.... Well in less than 2 hours almost ALL of that 3 gigs shows full again...
Any help? thanks

:mad2:

Comments

• JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited January 2004
    Is she doing any File sharing? What did you delete and what came back? File names and types?
  • edited January 2004
    no, I have an active directory server in their location.. they all hit it for file and print sharing...
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I would get the entire network scanned for virus'. That does not sound healthy.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    check it for spyware too, spybot S&D and ad-aware will probably find tons of garbage on that PC.
  • edited January 2004
    could it be page file?
  • edited January 2004
    i suppose it could be the page file... if it were... how can i limit its size? or that I even should be? default page file size shouldnt be doing this...
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2004
    What two programs is she using? And how many times does she fire those two up? I have had users that only use "office Apps" and when you walked by they had 20 windows open and fired up at once.... with 256mb of ram... Its pretty easy with little shareware progs to quickly find which directorys of hers were holding the disk space real quick.

Tex
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    What OS are they running?
  • edited January 2004
    using basically an app at a time... office suite.. as well as prophetx which is a real time quote program, which is used on 350 other PCs....
    i understand that opening and closing yada yada can make things happen but 3 gig in 2 hour just filling up?

windows 2k for OS
    edited January 2004
    So... what did she fill it up with then? Tempfiles? Like what? Internet? files by your app or ??

Tex
  • edited January 2004
    cant figure out what she filled it up with... nothing really in temp files since i cleaned it... nothing i can find seems out of place
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited January 2004
    well, you could run a search for files modified in the last day, and look for big ones. Filling 3gig in 2 hours is a lot of printing for it to be that.

Maybe you want to monitor network traffic into that box to see if its coming from outside.

~dodo
    edited January 2004
    brittel wrote:
    cant figure out what she filled it up with... nothing really in temp files since i cleaned it... nothing i can find seems out of place

Tons of little progs that are addins to explorer that show the total disk space of every directory when seen in explorer. Sorta easy to go "Oh crap... that one is 2gb and look in there to start with". This should be a 30 second investigation not a day of going "WTF???"

You need links or something? Thats why I suggested way up there .....that its pretty easy to spot usually. Shoot me a email and I'll email ya links or the programs even.

tex
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2004
  • JustinJustin Atlanta
    edited January 2004
    http://www.iolo.com/sm/4pro/download.cfm I use this all the time to make sure that I am not getting hit with spy/adware, it also has a decent firewall, antivirus, reg cleaner, junk file eliminator, and it is free for 30 days. Spybot and adaware are good. Try pc bug doctor too. You will be amazed at the crap it will find. You can also go into control panel>admin tools>performance and watch your graphs to see if maybe there is something else running that you are not finding. Sounds like a bug to me...
  • edited July 2004
    I've got the same thing going on!

This happened ever since this afternoon. All of a sudden I get warnings for a low diskspace and sure enough.... it was showing zip on my C-drive. After re-booting my C-Drive showed the 1.7Gb again that I had free on it!
    I've got my HD partitioned into several parts, the smallest and fastest is my C-drive with only Windows running on it, no junk like system restore or internet explorer cash touches my C-drive.
    After that I figured everything should be okay but sure enough... after an hour of fiddeling around the same thing happened, re-booted again and from then on I've been watching Total Commander showing the free space decline a little more then a MB a second!
    I've got my Swap file configured for another partition so it's not that eating up space at this rate plus I've got a Gig of RAM on board so with what little programs I've got running now that should not be a problem (Windows XP Pro is my OS b.t.w.)
    I was hoping other people have the same thing happening and found a solution but it looks like no joy here.

Cleaning my disks doesn't do diddely (both Norton Cleansweap and Windows Disk cleaner don't see anything that needs deleting)
    I've run Spy Sweeper to check for spy-ware but that found nothing more then some cookies and I've got NAV running at all times so that would have picked up a virus (or at least it should have) so I'm really stomped as to what it could be.
    I did install "BootVis" onto my computer yesterday and that did show some weird problems as well so I'll delete that and see if that'll make a difference. Did you have Bootvis installed on the computer?

Addition:

I've found the following threat that looks real simmilar:

http://www.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=329110&threadid=329110&forum=103&product_id=9887&overclockid=#msg329110

The weird thing is I've also got 40 GB Maxtors installed (in my case 2 striped to make one 80 GB)