What did I just do.....

ButtersButters CA Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Hardware
I'm feeling a little buyers remorse. I just purchased a new ASUS M4N82 Deluxe.

I originally had (and dearly miss) a M2N-SLI Deluxe which was awesome. The price of a 9950 was temporarily discounted to ($129.99) so I jumped on it. Before my new processor arrived, I inserted a USB drive and it immediately shut the PC down and fried my MB.

So to replace my MB and to support current and future needs, I decided on the M4N82. I am curious about "hybrid" SLI since I have a graphics card that will support it.

I've usually waited for boards to establish themselves and mature in the market. So this is uncharacteristic, but I guess I am looking forward to see what this new board can do.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Hopefully it's not one of those Asus boards that requires 19 bios revisions before it actually works.... :-/
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Hopefully it's not one of those Asus boards that requires 19 bios revisions before it actually works.... :-/
    No kidding, BUY DFI!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    True. This. ^
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited May 2009

No fair bashing! I have actually done very well with Asus boards lately. But I will admit that all the Asus boards I have dealt with in the past year have been Intel boards. Then to top it all off. I have bought a lot of DFI boards in the past 5 years and the last one ended up dying after about a month. So go figure! :/
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']No kidding, BUY DFI!

DFI FTW! The one I got that was suggested by BuddyJ has been awesome so far.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if you'll find any real benefits with Hybrid SLI, but it's worth a shot.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited May 2009
    On the topic of decent, reliable, no-frills overclocking boards:

MSI has made great strides in accommodating enthusiasts without overloading the boards with features that are prone to malfunction and driver/BIOS errors. Cost is also reasonable. I think it is worth a look, in addition to checking in on DFI. Just avoid the "Eclipse SLI" type models that try to do WAY TOO MUCH.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    I don't know if you'll find any real benefits with Hybrid SLI, but it's worth a shot.

After looking at it, I don't see any benefit. It won't even be able to use geforce boost either, it would be the hybridpower mode which uses the on board graphics to save engergy which is useless if I fold with it (260gtx).

From the look of things, it doesn't seem like nforce boards are the "in" boards right now. Without knowing their entire product line, Gigabyte and DFI doesn't have any nforce boards (for AMD) on Newegg.