Duke Nukem Forever is dead

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Gaming
In case you don't read Shacknews, 3D Realms, the company behind the never-ending Duke Nukem Forever project has been deadpooled.

So in honor of DNF you should read things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development and things have been accomplished between Duke Nukem Forever's announcement on April 28th, 1997 and its death on May 6th, 2009...

http://duke.a-13.net/ (scroll half way down)

my favorite things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development: "World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time."

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Surpr..... oh wait.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    hope.gif
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Some other company will buy the rights, pick up the pace, and have it ready for the holiday season.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I wanted to believe in balls of steel!

Well, let's see. Prey came out in '06. Despite it being a decent game (I liked it), it didn't sell very well. Other than that, 3DR hasn't made much money since '97. There's been Duke Manhatten Project, and a few other tiny spinoffs on cell phones and the like. But at the massive prod costs of DNF (and it's 3 game engine changes) over the period of 12 years finally took it's toll.

Though they did do Max Payne 1 and 2.... those games did rather well last I checked.

It sucks, but CB is right. The game will show up eventually. It'll probably suck, but I'm sure it'll show up.

Always made me laugh, DNF in racing stands for Did Not Finish. Appropriate.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Looks like all he needs to do now is ingest fecal matter.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2009
    Is it even relevant anymore?
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Is it even relevant anymore?

BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!!!!!

...just kidding:vimp:
    edited May 2009
    I bet on Duke!

I am broke :(
    edited May 2009
    Seriously - I don't get it. I mean when Duke 3d came out it had a slightly humours take on the FPS. And it had the Strippers....

But what's it going to do now to up the bar when it'd be sitting along side games like Saints Row and GTA.

They can't really do more then offer another rehash of the current genres except may get Bruce Campbell for some dialogue. Which in and of itself is almost worth while. But as for making the game actually relevant and nothing more then a gimmick purchase for nostalgic people they missed the boat by 7 years.
    edited May 2009
    I don't think the toilet humor and 'shocking' content is what does it for Duke. It's those things - which certainly aren't new - combined with the simple, over the top action gameplay.

That's the reason why games like Serious Sam and Painkiller have a market, gamers still like completely absurd violent action.

Duke was about ridiculous sci-fi weapons, Tons of explosions, crumbling buildings, dumb but fun interactivity (pool tables, toilets), and also babes. It was a simple formula, but most importantly, it was a fun formula. Sure you're not hijacking cars and killing prostitutes. But if you were, it certainly wouldn't be Duke.
    edited May 2009
    ^ this.
    edited May 2009
    Ok true enough. But with games like Serious Sam, Painkiller, TF2 and other off the wall games that have filled in for Duke. A new Duke game wouldn't stand out in the crowd if it wasn't for all the hype around it being Duke Nuke'm. In other words if it had no history no one would care.
    edited May 2009
    Let me put it this way: I would like to play DNF, and I've always wanted to play DNF. I can't say the same for Serious Sam or Painkiller.